• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Zincs

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

djpeewee
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Angeles/On Driveway

Re: Zincs

Post by djpeewee »

I second what Charles mentions above about the SALCA - otherwise known as the Sacrificial Anode Line Cutter Assembly (SALCA) from Sea Shield Marine. They are in the neighborhood of $35 for the 1-1/2" model which is a terrific value. We go crabbing frequently and the SALCA definitely provides reassurance. We have run over crab pot lines in the past.

Also, an interesting note: the Volvo Penta KAMD300A engine in our 28TE does not have any engine anodes. Apparently Volvo knows something we don't as they didn't design a single one into the system. Apparently it is the composition of the heat exchangers that eliminates the need for anodes. The only anodes on the boat are on the rudder, trim tabs, thruster, and shaft.
DJ
TRYGON
28 TE Flush Deck
Grey Eagle
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: HUNTINGTON NY

Post by Grey Eagle »

If you think you need a line cutter than I would go with a Spurs. On Youtube there are videos of the Spurs in action, where the SALCA you only get an under water installation video.

Especially on a single screw you need to protect what you have the best way you can.
OldDemps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: San Francisco, CA.

Post by OldDemps »

How many engine zincs on 28TE flush deck Yanmar engine?

I found 4 on my 2006. flushdeck yanmar 6LPA-STP (1 fuel, 2 oil, 1 cooling water. (none on transmission cooler

Found post stating only 4 zinc
Carl wrote: The flush decks with Yanmars accessed through the quarter-birth hatch 4 zincs....
But others above are quoting 5 engine zinc?

1) Did I miss the larger intercooler Zinc?
2) Do you have to use the shorter (small) pencil zincs or can you use the more common longer (1.5 inch) pencil zincs?

Thanks Chris
Currently boatless
Prior owner of
SKOL -1975 Albin 25 #2240
JOKA -2006 Albin 28TE Flush Deck
JOKA - 2000 Albin 28TE Gatsby Ed.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

What do you mean by "1 cooling water" ?
Are you referring to the heat exchanger? Is so, there are 2, not 1.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
OldDemps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: San Francisco, CA.

Post by OldDemps »

Thanks Rob. Yes I see the second zinc on the cooling water heat exchanger aft but the bell housing on the ZF Transmission is in the way to remove that zinc, so I'll only be able to service one on top.

Another FLUSH DECK engine zinc newbie question. On the intake air intercooler (accessed from portside Qtr berth) there seems to be a larger zinc on the Fwd top of the intercooler. Is that zinc serviceable? Its basically jammed between the deck plate / engine insulation and the top of the intercooler. Any tricks from Yanmar (2006) flushdeck owners on that zinc?

Thanks Chris
Currently boatless
Prior owner of
SKOL -1975 Albin 25 #2240
JOKA -2006 Albin 28TE Flush Deck
JOKA - 2000 Albin 28TE Gatsby Ed.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”