• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A27 - Electrical Panel mod

Albin's "power cruisers"
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

A27 - Electrical Panel mod

Post by JT48348 »

The bathroom modification means I have to move my electrical panel. I've been considering various locations.

I'm thinking of making the port side storage space in the cockpit the new electrical panel location. The space will be water tight once I re-bed the deck fittings. I would put a recessed panel in the space and then two doors made of smoked lexan or plexi to close it off.

It's deep enough to accommodate all the wiring, switches and breakers. It's big enough to consolidate both a DC and AC panel and any other monitors etc. it can be seen from both the helm and the fwd cabin. And it's close to the battery bank in the engine room.

The down side is its low to the deck and not at eye level.
The downside is also if a deck fitting did leak that could be a big problem.

Any thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Re: A27 - Electrical Panel mod

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I'll just say this...if a deck fitting leaks in you could be in a world of hurt...I would find a different spot
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

Why not on the wall to the right as you go down the stairs into the forward cabin? On the early boats like mine, the panel is to the left, just above the galley counter top facing forward. That works, but the space is fairly confined

My boat has a 15 by 15 door where your proposed location is - It has an access hatch inside that you use to load ice into the icebox

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

With the elimination of the hanging locker and moving of the bulkheads in all directions to create inches, there's no space on the bulkhead as you come down the steps. Not only is it not wide enough it's not deep enough if there was a panel there.

The only other location which might be an option is fwd of the bathroom on the other side of the fwd bulkhead where the fridge will be. But this is a ways away from everything and certainly not centrally located.

The cockpit storage area has everything going for it except the deck fittings
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Could you build a waterproof box to line that space so if it does leak it won't get on the electrical connections?
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

Hmmm. Basically put a box inside the box. That might work. The space is large. Let me look into that

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”