• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Airpax Circuit Breakers

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

kowal_53
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Airpax Circuit Breakers

Post by kowal_53 »

I have a Airpax CB model UPGF66-31704-1 Douple pole, single switch circuit breaker for the #2 30 amp shore power. (2008 A;bin 31) There is some charing that was on the breaker, but the real damage was the 8AWG wire, and others near by. So it is hard to tell if the breaker has been compromised.

An internet search was not the best, and none of the sites had a price. I was curious if anyone has found a supplier for these units.
Current: Good Mojo 2008 TE 31 - Cummins QSC 8.3 500 HP
Former: Blue Without You 2006 TE 28 - Yanmar 6PLA - 315 HP
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Re: Airpax Circuit Breakers

Post by catalina_mike »

I do not have a source for that breaker but you should change it out. Match it up as close as you can. The problem was more than likely caused by a loose connection on the breaker or wiring connector. The heat caused by the resistance caused the charring of the wiring. The breaker has had heat through it and could be compromised. I would not take the chance that it will protect as it is designed to do.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
TomA
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: PUNTA GORDA FL.

Post by TomA »

I had a similar situation with the #8 burnt wire, in the Bass panel on my 32 +2. Cause was loose wring connection I just replaced the wire, breaker was OK. If you panel is manufactured by Airpax the breaker should be available lots of Airpax distributor listed on line. TomA
kowal_53
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kowal_53 »

I am still on my quest to find the circuit breaker. I have called many, so here is what I know. I finally found someone that know what I need. (Gene Buma 508-236-5418) He works for Sensata/AIRPAX. He was located out of Cambridge, MD where AIRPAX was located prior to being purchased by Sensata. He informed me that I has a custom breaker that was only send to Ultra Panel Marine. The single throw is on the right side verses the left. It is now obsolete and suggested that I contact UPM to see if they had one. The circuit panel was made by Ultra Panel Marine out of Florida. (305 888 7709) Currently I am trying to see if UPM has one.

Gene also suspect that my breaker might be OK, given that the internal design was such that the load side could stand more heat than the line side. In any case if I can not locate one, and can call Gene back and he will create a new number, and hand me off to a distributer, which I could proceed in ordering one. I would have to wait about 8 to 12 weeks and spend $70.00 to get it.

So the good news is you can get it if you need to. The other single breaker should be available for AIRPAX, or through Carling, which make the Blue Sea breaker that are not stocked at many marine stores.
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Maybe you should think about contacting the people in the post below and see if they can make you a new panel with readily available replacement parts/breakers.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8534
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
kowal_53
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kowal_53 »

I can't imagine how much that might cost. The Albin 31 panel is much larger than a 28. In fact their is a DC and AC panel, each larger than a 28. I suppose if I gave them my panel for the more available breakers parts the price might come down a bit. Even so the number of wires to be moved would keep me busy for quite a time.

Maybe I will ask the people that did the original panel to see what it would cost just for grinns.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

PANELTRONICS BREAKER 30 AMPS W/ REVERSE POLARITY TRIP COIL [29878] - $37.29 : SaltysMarine.com

I have no idea what your breaker looks like, but I had a tough one to find as well and I got one here.
Would be worth a few minutes searching.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT

Return to “Albin Maintenance”