• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Coolant usage, exhaust steam

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Capt Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Coolant usage, exhaust steam

Post by Capt Ron »

This may be something new to Yanmar engines as I've found nothing like it on AOG. I've got a 15 year old 6LP-STE with 1,200 hours on it. A month ago I noticed a cloud of steam coming from the exhaust after reaching operating operating temps., drifting for awhile, then restarting. There was a slight cylinder miss until all cleared in about ten seconds. Coolant usage was noticed. The diagnosis, which has been confirmed, was a bad cooolant tank/exhaust manifold. There is a small hole near the rear exhaust ports allowing coolant to seep into the rear exhaust ports while coolant pressure bleeds off. I hope this is just an insolated incident as the price of the tank/manifold itself is $2,350. I hope this helps any Yanmar owners with similar symptoms.
Owner of 28' TE
Deb
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Morgan

Re: Coolant usage, exhaust steam

Post by Deb »

Thanks Ron I'm trying to figure my yanmar it seems to smoke a little or is it stam

Return to “Albin Maintenance”