• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 with Yanmar 2GM 20F

Albin's "power cruisers"
canderson
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Belfast, Me

A25 with Yanmar 2GM 20F

Post by canderson »

Hi all,
I am considering an A25 with a Yanmar 2GM 20f engine. This engine is rated at about 18 hp which strikes me as underpowered. From what I've learned from the knowledgable members of this forum the original engines were 20 or 25 hp but were later boosted to the ideal of 36 hp. I do not need speed but tide and currents where I live are quite strong. Thanks for your help.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: A25 with Yanmar 2GM 20F

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

For what it's worth, my 1971 A25 "La Dolce Vita" (early full displacement version, NOT the later semi displacement Deluxe model) came re-powered with a 24 HP Yanmar 3GM30F that was installed in 1992. I cruise 6.5 knots at 2,300 RPM as measured speed over ground by GPS in flat calm water with no river or tidal currents. That's about as fast as I can go with it & don't generally push it much over 2,300 RPM. Fuel consumption is 0.4 to 0.5 gallons per hour.

You don't mention which hull model you're looking at, but there is a difference between the two hull versions in that with the later semi-displacement Deluxe version the last few feet aft is flattened out compared to the earlier version. In which case the Deluxe version should have a bigger engine. A Deluxe model with 35 to 40 HP engine can push closer to 8 to 10 knots if need be.

Sounds like you need to keep up to date tide and current charts handy and plan your day accordingly, as we did last year in the Pacific Northwest's version of Maine, the San Juans and Gulf Islands, where strong tide currents and eddies are common.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
canderson
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Belfast, Me

Re: A25 with Yanmar 2GM 20F

Post by canderson »

Thanks so much for the info. The boat is hull #573 which I believe makes it a 1970. Thanks for the comparison pics. Very illustrative.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”