• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Brush kit fot Vetus Bow Thruster

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

dmorgan
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Oceanside, N.Y.

Brush kit fot Vetus Bow Thruster

Post by dmorgan »

Hi all,
Would someone be able to direct me where to buy a brush kit for the Vetus 5512 ? I have a 2005 28TE and also need the prop for this unit - but I see different variations so I guess I will have to wait to pull it at the end of the season.
Thank you
"Navy Diver" 2005 28TE Flush Deck
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Re: Brush kit fot Vetus Bow Thruster

Post by Russell »

Here is a link to the Vetus site. One thing I learned about the brushes is to make sure that they can move freely in their holders. I checked mine when the thruster worked intermittently and they seemed fine, hardly worn at all. All electrical connections were clean and tight and I was at a loss of what what was wrong. When my brother, who can fix anything, arrived at my place he looked at the brushes again and cleaned the slots and reassembled everything. Now it works like it was supposed to. I am thinking of getting this propeller which is supposed to be more powerful and quieter.

http://www.vetusmarine.com/store/p/62-B ... eller.aspx
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
dmorgan
Mate
Mate

Post by dmorgan »

Great! Thank you for the link - I would like to try that prop as well and just need to measure what I have existing. I never did the brushes and noticed a load of carbon dust and the bow thruster works great for a few seconds and then starts to limp out. Connections are clean and tight and I have a new house battery. I guess I should also put a meter on it and also under a load.
Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Freeport, NY

Post by Paddy »

I replaced the stock prop with the upgraded 6 blade one and I feel a noticeable difference in power and it is much quieter.

As for the thruster (and from what I read), the Vetus replacement brushes are obnoxiously priced. Other boaters have taken their dimensions and found replacements (Bosch?) for 1/10 the price. I had mine "reconditioned" by a place on the north shore. He replaced a handful of the 8 brushes, the others were fine, and he gave the entire unit a good cleaning. I think the charge was $180. Works great and I can't imagine not having it on the south shore of Long Island. I dock stern in to the west on a North / South canal, and with the 20 MPH south winds and incoming tide yesterday, the boat was clocking 6MPH on the GPS in neutral. The thruster held the nose pointed to the east just long enough for me to get it between the poles. I started my approach 5 slips away...not fun!
2004 28TE
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

dmorgan: That is exactly how my thruster was functioning. My brother said when the armature turns it pushes the brushes back a little bit. If the brush and holder are dirty the spring cannot push it back and the motor stops. After a few minutes it would work again for a few seconds. If the brushes are above the minimum 14 mm in length just clean everything and put it back together. I was amazed at how well it worked after cleaning. It never had that much power before.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
dmorgan
Mate
Mate

Post by dmorgan »

Thank you for the advice, I will clean and inspect the unit well before going any further. The six blade prop is also on the list for the end of the season. The price for replacement brushes are way out of line and I'm sure they are not the only game in town.
tshug
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Medford, MA

Post by tshug »

On our 2004 Albin28 the thruster is pretty noisy when used. The only problem I've had with it was I had to replace the shear pin on it last year. It's worked fine since then and moves the bow without problems, but just wondering how noisy they are on other 28's and if cleaning the thruster would help? At our club others that have thrusters when they're used seem a lot quieter.

Thanks,
Ted
2004 28TE "Evening Star"
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

The Vetus 55 on our 2003, 28TE is also noisy initially but quites down some what after a few seconds. But, overall, it's noisy; but works well !
Don.
tshug
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tshug »

Thanks Don.
2004 28TE "Evening Star"
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Warwick, RI

Post by mike66 »

I have the 6 blade prop and it is relatively quiet compared to a lot of the coffee grinders we hear.
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
SUSAN HELENA 1985 40' Trawler
tshug
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tshug »

Mike, the coffee grinder comparison is a good one! I hadn't thought of it that way, but that's what ours sounds like. We have a 3 błade prop on ours, but will check out replacing it with a 6 blade for next season.

Thanks,
Ted
2004 28TE "Evening Star"
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

Ted:
We put the six bladed prop on almost immediately after they came out. It's a LITTLE bit quieter but don't expect too much (the 3 blade in now in my spares box). I'd do it over again however.
Don.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”