• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin27 AC needs new engine

Albin's "power cruisers"
Robert M
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic

Albin27 AC needs new engine

Post by Robert M »

My 1984 Albin 27 with aft cabin is in need of a new engine to replace one that has catastrophic failure. Any suggestions that will not cost an arm and leg.
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Re: Albin27 AC needs new engine

Post by Mark Deeser »

Robert I not sure there is a good answer to your question. The only way I know to save money is to be able to do all your own work, and take time and a great deal of searching for re-power options. What engine did you have and please describe nature of failure, let's begin at the beginning. Thanks, Mark.
don123
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by don123 »

His boat is a 1984 model, so the odds are about 99 to 1 that his original engine was the Peugeot 4D61

A new diesel might be an arm and BOTH legs - Very hard to do a proper repower with a new diesel for less than $12K to $15K. I repowered with a rebuilt Yanmar which I paid $10K for (and I think I stole it . . . . the same engine new would have been north of $16K) and then there are all the associated items you need to buy, plus the installation costs

It might be cheapest to find someone who is repowering a boat which had a desirable engine and buy their running take-out and then have it rebuilt. Just about any way you choose to go though, you're probably looking at a minimum of $10K

Don
Robert M
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert M »

Thanks Don, Mark. Mark you are right the engine is a Peugeot 4D61, If there is anyone that has a running 4D61 and wants to sale it let me know. Robert
martingaf
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: honduras

Post by martingaf »

I sent you a note but not sure if it went out ok. I have a spare 4D61 in great shape. !600 hours on it if you are interested. m.gaffney@rogers.com
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Post by sail149 »

Re installing a 4d61 will defiantly be the cheapest option. The offer of the used engine with only 1600 on it is great
And you will have spare parts to share arround your damaged core.
The engines also show up fairly regularly on ebay too. Typically sailboat running take outs
Warren
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
Robert M
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert M »

Thanks for the information I am Trying to make arrangements to see the engine that was listed. I see a trip to Toronto in my future Robert M

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”