• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

backing up in a 27FC

Albin's "power cruisers"
coolchange
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portland Oregon

backing up in a 27FC

Post by coolchange »

I have still got to figure out how to back up and would appreciate any tips....so far I can stop forward motion..good start right?

it seems that the rudder has little to do with changing direction (in reverse)...but I keep trying...have tried small movement and big, low power and shots of power etc.

what am I missing? (no points for "a thruster" as it is not an option.)

thanks
1989 Albin 27 FC w/ Isuzu 157 hp, Ford 6.0 Diesel, giant trailer
6th, and most favorite boat yet
Cruising: Columbia River Portland to Bar, San Juans, Gulf Islands,
Desolation Sound, Sunshine Coast, Broughton Islands
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Re: backing up in a 27FC

Post by Jay Knoll »

Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Post by Mark Deeser »

coolchange, What Jay says. I might add find some open water an practice, stop your boat, make some 180 dregee turns, find out what it will and will not do. Try to learn to back in a straight line, drop a plastic bottle on a weight and back to it. Once you get the feel you will gain that needed confidence. Have some fun. Thanks, Mark.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Coolchange, if the boat pretty much only goes straight when in reverse, you might have to align it while in forward. Put it in forward for only brief moments - just enough to get a direction change - then return to neutral and reverse. Spring lines are your friends.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
JeffScott92
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston

Post by JeffScott92 »

The Maryland school of sailing has some good instructional videos on backing into slips etc. on YouTube. They helped me a good bit when I first bought my 27FC. For most backing maneuvers, you won't even use the rudder once you put it in the position you want, just the prop walk. One of the best things about my 27FC is that using those tips, it can turn to port on a dime, so most of the time, I turn around and back up very little.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Coolchange: Others have already responded but the man is Rick here on this site under "search" for landing the boat.
whwells "Howard"
coolchange
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portland Oregon

Post by coolchange »

Thanks for the replies,,,I went out and messed with the prop walk and other "nuance" of the 27 and most importantly gave up on the idea of close quarter starboard 180 ...port is a dream (now)..also giving up the concept of backing in a chosen direction...other than straight or starboard
1989 Albin 27 FC w/ Isuzu 157 hp, Ford 6.0 Diesel, giant trailer
6th, and most favorite boat yet
Cruising: Columbia River Portland to Bar, San Juans, Gulf Islands,
Desolation Sound, Sunshine Coast, Broughton Islands
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

coolchange wrote:Thanks for the replies,,,I went out and messed with the prop walk and other "nuance" of the 27 and most importantly gave up on the idea of close quarter starboard 180 ...port is a dream (now)..also giving up the concept of backing in a chosen direction...other than straight or starboard
My EX marina neighbor has one of these boats...yes it backs to starboard. He can rarely get it to back straight because there isn't enough distance.
He had to come past me (40 ft) then back to port about 10 feet to get to the first piling in his slip.
He has trouble but he figured it out. Lots of practice.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

You might find this very useful.

Docking Seminar
Maryland School of Seamanship and Sailing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoGMAEj ... e=youtu.be

Good luck with getting back into the slip.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
don123
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by don123 »

coolchange wrote:I went out and messed with the prop walk and other "nuance" of the 27 and most importantly gave up on the idea of close quarter starboard 180 ...port is a dream (now)..also giving up the concept of backing in a chosen direction...other than straight or starboard
You've discovered the big 'secret' - Learn what your boat *wants to do* both in forward and reverse and then put yourself in situations where that works for you and not against you. Since you know it walks only one direction in reverse, don't put yourself in a position where you need it to do the opposite, because as you've found, it ain't gonna happen

For us, planning to do the loop with it's 100 or so locks and plenty of marinas, a bow thruster was deemed a must. Bought one a couple weeks ago and will be installing it in another couple weeks. Hopefully, it will get us out of most tricky wind/current situations we may find ourselves in when trying to maneuver in unfamiliar places

Don
PonusNick
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stamford, CT

Post by PonusNick »

I bought a 27 express last fall and struggled mightily...but I was determined. I gathered advice from several old salts...

Understand which way your boat will walk in reverse...rudder has no effect...learn and use the walk.
Go slow...even stopped...control the boat's stern position with forward bursts at full rudder.
Don't touch the throttle...it makes things worse.

And I practiced...went to the club one Sunday morning and took it in and out ten or more times...nailing it every time now.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

PonusNick is right. I have an Albin 25, which like most of us here is single screw inboard. Think about it... in forward gear the prop wash stream is deflected off the rudder and has more powerful effect. In reverse prop wash is directed forward, and has no effect on the rudder. Therefore the rudder has little to no ability to turn the boat until there's enough way on, that is boat is moving fast enough to give some steerage. Problem is, in tight quarters you don't have the room to get moving fast enough. Then there's wind and/or current take into account. Prop walk is the dominant force, which in a right-hang screw boat moves the stern to port, or vice versa with a left hand screw which some if not all Volvo engines are.

So what to do (assuming you don't have the luxury of a bow thruster)? For backing straight with a right-hand screw boat I'd say helm hard to port, back slow and occasionally shift to forward gear for small "rudder kicks" to straighten out. Of course try when possible to set yourself up so you can back up in the direction your prop walk wants to take you.

As for tight 180 forward turns, turn to starboard if possible. Keep the helm hard over to starboard, move forward just fast enough to get some steerage way. Then do a series of shifts into reverse to prop walk the stern over to port, then back in forward, leaving the helm all the way to starboard. Do that several times and you can turn almost within one boat length, which is sometimes necessary in a tight marina fairway.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
PonusNick
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stamford, CT

Post by PonusNick »

My boat walks to port so in close quarters...to DesertAlbin's point...with the helm hard to starboard I can spin her around in her own length by alternating in forward and reverse. No throttle at all and she behaves just fine. The finger I am currently docking at is on my starboard...so the boat walks away from it in reverse. Now that I know her habits better I am lobbying for a port side tie up next year so she'll walk herself in.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”