• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

draining fuel filter

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

draining fuel filter

Post by Serenity »

I decided to drain the water, if any, from my Yanmar primary fuel filter. IN the process of backing out the drain plug, I backed it out to far and the plug fell into the bilge. I couldn't see the plug and forget about getting my arm down into that abyss to feel around for it. I got out my 5 gallon wet/dry vac and try to vacuum it out. That didn't work. Next I tried blowing it out with the vac, aft to forward and forward to aft, again no results. The plug has a non-standard thread. I tried both sae and metric, just to plug up the hole in the bottom of the bowl. I spoke to my local Yanmar dealer, and they only thing they sell is the filter. Mac Boring wanted $175.00 for the filter assembly. I contacted Freeport Marine and they were able to get me the bowl and plug the same day. The Yanmar filter is made by Racor. The racor equivalent filter bowl assembly is the same bowl on the Yanmar filter. The bowl cost $55.00 including the $6.00 plug. The Racor part# is RK21113 if drop your plug and can not locate it. I believe my plug fell into the keel. After all was done. I had no water in my filter bowl.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: draining fuel filter

Post by Tree »

Similar here. I buy all my racor parts from a company that make hydraulic hoses.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

The only way I would think you'd have water there is if you totally neglected your racor turbine filter.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

Rob I have the Air Sep filter on the turbo intake. I would think you might pick up some water from contaminated fuel from the dock or gas station if you use theirs. How would water get into the fuel before the fuel entered the engine? Am I missing something?
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Serenity wrote: How would water get into the fuel before the fuel entered the engine? Am I missing something?
From water in your tank - condensation, leaking fill cap, improperly oriented vent, water in the fuel you take on, a bad fuel cooler, etc..

That plug is actually a drain valve (petcock), no? In other words, just loosen it a bit until it drains the filter then snug it back up, no need to remove it.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

RobS wrote:The only way I would think you'd have water there is if you totally neglected your racor turbine filter.
What I meant was how would water get into the fuel system by the turbine filter?
Max
Serenity 98 28TE

Return to “Albin Maintenance”