• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Saltwater Washdown Faucet

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

seasalt
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SW Florida

Saltwater Washdown Faucet

Post by seasalt »

My wash down faucet in the anchor locker has a back flow preventer pressure relief valve with male threads going to the faucet and male hose threads on the other end. I have seen a lot of back flow preventer valves in marinas but they have female threads going to the faucet. The ones that I can find on Amazon are of the marina type.

Does anyone know where to get one of these valves?
Ron
Hi Spirits (sold)
35 TE SF
Punta Gorda, FL
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Re: Saltwater Washdown Faucet

Post by Serenity »

A good hardware store or a home depot, should be able to hook you up with female or male to male adapters.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
ScubaPete
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seaford, Virginia

Post by ScubaPete »

Why don't you post a picture so we can see what you have? Does it look anything like the attached picture? This is called a vacuum breaker, works like an anti-siphon valve. Comes in chrome or brass (both are silver in color)
Vacuum Breaker.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
seasalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by seasalt »

That's it. Thanks Pete
Ron
Hi Spirits (sold)
35 TE SF
Punta Gorda, FL
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Post by Jay Knoll »

I'm thinking of installing a wash down system and I can't think of a reason why I'd put one of these in the system. How can the water in the hose flow back thru the pump? And if it did what would be the harm, wouldn't it just go back into the water the boat is floating in.
seasalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by seasalt »

Jay,

Beats me but it is there. If you simply remove it you have a faucet with female threads. Replacing the entire faucet looks like it would be a tough job due to its location. The vacuum breakers are about $6 at Lowes or one could go with a double male adapter with the proper size threads.
Ron
Hi Spirits (sold)
35 TE SF
Punta Gorda, FL
ScubaPete
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seaford, Virginia

Post by ScubaPete »

I don't think the male threads that screw into the faucet are a standard size. I could never find anything to fit, so I had to go with the original type pictured above.

I do not see why it is necessary for a sea water (raw water) washdown system faucet, but if you have a freshwater washdown, then it is critical to prevent backflow into your freshwater tank. Both of my faucets are identical, so they both have a vacuum breaker.
seasalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by seasalt »

My wash down water comes in from a through hull in the stern to a pump and then to a long hose to the bow. All saltwater. I doubt that it is necessary but as I said the faucet in the rope locker looks like it would be a problem to change. I' just going to buy a new vacuum break next time I get to HD or Lowes.
Ron
Hi Spirits (sold)
35 TE SF
Punta Gorda, FL
River Dawg
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Marys, GA

Post by River Dawg »

I'm having a problem finding the pump that sends the saltwater to the male hose connection up on the bow. (1990 36' Classic) . I remember a breaker labeled for this pump, but I'm not hearing anything run and there is no water coming out of the connection located at the bow. All I've been able to trace is a hose coming down thru the chain locker and disappears down by the keel.
P.hydrick
1990 36' Classic
St. Marys, GA
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

The picture above shows the vacuum breaker that screws into the hose bib fitting.. These are like the ones installed in California on every hose bib. The fitting that stays on the hose bib has a screw you tighten then it snaps off. The reason you might need one is if a hose on deck is left open and the sun heats it up the pressure increase will cause a reverse flow. That is why they are installed to protect the water system. It's a big deal now days for cross contamination in water systems. My boat does not have a shore water incoming connection so I do not have any leaky things on my boat.

To take off the one still on the hose bib, if it is still there, is to use a hacksaw cutting across the threads then something to expand the saw cut to relieve the pressure on the threads so you can remove it. If you just try and remove one that was installed correctly (tightened bolt that has snapped off) you will harm the threads and have to replace the hose bib.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal

Return to “Albin Maintenance”