• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Horn Replacement

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

rangoons
Gold Member
Gold Member

Horn Replacement

Post by rangoons »

Hi Can anyone suggest where I can buy a replacement horn or suggest a model for a 28' TE?
Thanks
Greg
Rangoons
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Horn Replacement

Post by DougSea »

Should be an AFI electric horn, available at most marine retailers. I think I bought mine (on the 28) at West Marine or Defender. I didn't like the look of the single so I bought a dual trumpet model. They're just a simple 12v hookup.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
fairtide
First Mate
First Mate

Post by fairtide »

My 2006 28FD came with a built in horn on the starboard side. It was pitifully out of tune and not loud enough to scare a seagull. I bought an electric two trumpet horn that I mounted on the standard radar arch. The connection had to be made by removing the starboard panel just to the right of the helm seat. The old horn was disconnected first and then the new one was connected so that the same switch would be used.
It should make no difference what brand of horn you choose, but the retailer can take the horn from its box and touch the wires to a battery to give you an idea as to what the product will sound like. If you are ordering a horn, you will not have this opportunity. Remember to tilt the trumpets down so that rain, etc. will not get down into the diaphragm assembly.
rangoons
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rangoons »

thank you for a great tip.
Rangoons
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

I bought a single trumpet AFI horn from WM last year for my A27FC. It is 100% stainless steel and costs around $100 (the horn, not the A27FC).

But...

It didn't last through the winter. No idea why.

I replaced it this year with an Ongaro single trumpet horn, also 100% stainless - $80 at Lighthouse Marine Supply. This one comes with a 5 year warantee and is LOUD. Ongaro also has a cleaning procedure for the diaphram should it be needed.

I used the AFI mounting bracket for my Ongaro trumpet just so I wouldn't have to redrill the mounting holes - A perfect fit.

Just my experience.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex CT

Post by Jack »

My horn just failed yesterday on my 1998 28 TE. From other posts, it looks like these things don't last forever. I checked the fuse first, hoping for an easy fix but no luck. Before buying a new one, I wondered if it might be a bad switch but the switch seems the same as before. This horn is mounted in front of the center window just under the overhang. It looks like the TFI on the marine supply websites. Does this one require a compressor or is there one in the housing on the rear end of the horn? Some replacements show a separate cylinder-shaped compressor with a tube to connect to a horn.
If the wiring is okay and the switch also, I suppose I just have to disconnect the old horn and connect the wiring to the new one and then mount it. Any suggestions? Thanks. :?:
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

The factory horn has a electrical magnet on the back. There are switches and a diaphragm that vibrates at high speed making the sound. The trumpet magnifies the vibration just like those horns you blow into at sporting events. Same principal..You can install a air horn and run the tubing but remember to create a loop up higher than the horn so water will not make it into the air compressor. Moisture gets in there and causes the diaphragm not to vibrate in both types (electric or air) and as such the horn does not work. Mine was installed upside down and trapped the water or spray causing the failure on the 28TE.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Post by Mark Deeser »

Just bought twin trumpet air horns for my 27 FC, air compressor under dash. My have to get bigger boat, sound is seems too big for the size of my boat. Found them at marine discount store. Thanks, Mark.
MadMoney
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seattle Washington

Post by MadMoney »

I got tired of replacing the electric horns that are virtually useless for signaling in the heavy fog and picked up the Kahlenberg K-380. It's a dual trumpet horn set up with an air compressor. Love it!!

Anthony
1999 28' TE - MadMoney
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

Mine too is an Ongaro. It was OEM and I replaced it once ( after five years ) and it still is going strong ( after seven years ). It should be mounted slightly downward to allow water to drain out.
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Post by tbnolin »

I had duel trumpets on the 40NSC that needed some help.Went to an auto parts store looking for something else and ended up buying a trumpet horn package for sooooooooo much less then at a marine store. Used the parts that I needed....kept the horns that were on the boat and placed the new ones in a closet and forgot completely about them! Honestly, they put out a nice loud air horn noise!!! Loved it!
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC
Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex CT

Post by Jack »

Thanks for all the replies. Big help.
Jforesta
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Northport

Post by Jforesta »

Before replacing try to clean the points with some Emory cloth.
I was about to replace mine. Removed the screws, opened the back, cleaned the point and walla working fine.
SeaQuel
1997 31TE
3126 Cat
Formally
Abbastanza
2000 Albin 28 TE
Joe F

Return to “Albin Maintenance”