• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Northern Lights Gen No Water Outflow

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

SJR
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Beach NY

Northern Lights Gen No Water Outflow

Post by SJR »

Hello All, After dropping Teagan II back in this past week, It seems Ive lost prime on my Generator, Ive had to deal with this issue at times with the A/C and regain prime pretty easily, however Ive tried everything I could think of today to no avail.

Ive checked the raw water at the seacock, to the strainer all the away to the Impeller no problem. I attached a fresh water hose at a few different spots disconnects and have pushed water with success but it will not keep once re-connected. I attached a fresh water hose at the top siphon break and it ran fine with plenty water outflow, but once all is reconnected, there is no outflow. Ive pumped water in both directions with no luck once I cut off the hose water. Ive watched the impeller and that is spinning when started, there is water flowing through :oops: the seacock, but it seems around the siphon area it loses pressure. Any ideas???

this one is eating at me. any help would be greatly appreciated.

SJR
TEAGAN II
2006 31' TE
Twin Yanmar 315HP 6-LPAM STP
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Northern Lights Gen No Water Outflow

Post by jleonard »

Delaminated hose that sucks itself shut? (you know what I mean)
Worn cam surface on the water pump housing?
Air leak at the strainer cap?
Those are what I would look at.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
SJR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by SJR »

all the hoses look to be in very good condition, going to triple check the strainer cap, not sure about the water pump housing. my gut is telling me it may have something to do with the impeller, but from what i can see it looks to be spinning however not pushing water
TEAGAN II
2006 31' TE
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

If you have a screw on strainer cap, grease the threads, that will help seal it.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

Impeller is the first thing that comes to mind. They are very simple designs but because of that it doesn't take much to screw them up. I know on a previous Koller if the impeller fails it can plug the water passages with the pieces. Impellers IMHO should be changed yearly along with the generator zincs as a SOP. good luck and also some do not run well while on-plane or underway because of not having a scoop on the raw water intake.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cherokee Resort and Marina - Tellico River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

The bronze sleeve in the impeller can become detached from the rubber of the impeller. The pulley spins but no water gets pumped. I have had this happen twice on my previous boats. It can be hard to see, even when you are looking at the impeller itself. Good luck, Ben
afrayedknot
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Goose Pond Marina, Scottsboro, AL (TN River Mi 378)

Post by afrayedknot »

Had a similar problem once and noted that the pump shaft was not turning - removed the pump and found that the nut at the gear had loosened just enough that the gear was not engaged with the engine gear - slid it back - tightened the nut - all was fine. Maybe this will help. Good luck.
Bob on "A Frayed Knot" 36ET
SJR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by SJR »

I believe I have my Answer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
TEAGAN II
2006 31' TE
SJR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by SJR »

catalina_mike wrote:Impeller is the first thing that comes to mind. They are very simple designs but because of that it doesn't take much to screw them up. I know on a previous Koller if the impeller fails it can plug the water passages with the pieces. Impellers IMHO should be changed yearly along with the generator zincs as a SOP. good luck and also some do not run well while on-plane or underway because of not having a scoop on the raw water intake.

thanks Mike, I posted a picture and I believe you dead on. I flushed the hoses with the hope of removing any broken off rubber pieces, waiting on the new Impeller, and now that Ive re-read your post I might pick up a couple more to have as back ups. Much appreciated.

Scott
TEAGAN II
2006 31' TE
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

Pleasure.. Do the zincs as well to start off clean! People don't do the zincs and then they get to spend lots of money!
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal

Return to “Albin Maintenance”