• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Question on inflatable vests

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Question on inflatable vests

Post by JackK »

I figure someone here with more experience than I will know ... I have a couple of Mustang inflatable suspenders. They are coming up on 3 yrs old. What is the lifespan on the CO2 cylinders?

Has anyone changed out a cylinder that hasn't been fired? I'm thinking if I unscrew this thing it's going to fire off like a missile.

I know I should RTFM but that's not handy and the keyboard is.

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Boston, MA

CO2

Post by Legacy »

I am not an expert but on my diving BCs the CO2 cartridges just unscew - - even if they have not been fired. They do not fire unless you pull a cord that then pierces the top. Unless there'a ton of corrosion, you shouldn't have any concerns.

Rick
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

The cylinders won't fire when you remove them. The firing mechanism is a pin that pierces the end of the cylinder. This does not happen until you pull the cord.

As for the age, I wouldn't worry about it. It is a good idea, however, to pull the cylinder annually and inspect it for corrosion or damage. Unless you find either of the above, I wouldn't bother replacing it. If you do, go ahead and re-install it. Then don the vest and give it a test fire so you can familiarize yourself with how it works. Then re-pack it, and replace the cylinder with a new one.
rt11002003
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rt11002003 »

I'm not an expert either, however, over the years I've replaced the unused cartridges on my PFDs a number of times. They just unscrew.
Gene Currently Albin "less"
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

Thanks for the info. I'll unscrew the cartridge and make sure everything looks ok.

I could just picture me launching a missile in the marina as I unscrewed this thing :shock:

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
jack Stone
Mate
Mate

Post by jack Stone »

A suggestion. I was replacing my CO2. Decided to test the vests before I changed them out. 2 out of the 3 Mustangs didn't hold the air for more than 5 min. When I called them they did not respond. I don't use them now (they look nice hanging in my office closet). If you still have the old co's you may want to try the same test. They should be easy to repack...if they work.

Return to “General Discussion”