• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Best material for fuel tank

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Best material for fuel tank

Post by Mark Deeser »

The fuel tank on my 86 Albin 27 FC has developed a fuel leak, not what I was hoping to see. Owing to it's age I would like to replace it. Thinking that somewhere around 75 to 100 gallon center mounted tank would be right for me. I live on St John River in Florida and not much diesel available on river. My question is what is the best material for my tank, current tank is aluminum. I am looking for a material that will hold up, but also be cost effective. Trying to get my boat ready to do the loop next April, thank you in advance for any help you can offer.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Best material for fuel tank

Post by jleonard »

I would go with aluminum again. Epoxy paint it and bed it properly and it will last.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mark Deeser »

Thanks jleonard, current tank was not painted, bedding was some wooden strips. Boat refit is proving to be a long road but trying to do it all to the best of my ability.
SeaQuell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Harpswell, ME

Post by SeaQuell »

I just replaced my fuel tank in my 2002 Albin 28TE. It was aluminum and had corroded on a lower seam at the contact point with the cut through the starboard stringer. I contacted the original manufacturer in Bristol RI and although they do not make the tanks any longer they do have the original plans. Quote was $2,500 including shipping to Harpswell ME. (130 gal tank). Many of the lobster boats around here are replacing tanks with welded plastic so I priced a 130 gal welded plastic tank from Triple M Plastics in West Kennebunk, ME 207-985-4705. This was a one off custom built from the original design spec's. Cost was $1,325. The tank will out last the boat. It's lighter and less expensive.

Gordon Bowersock
SeaQuell
2002 Albin 28TE
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mark Deeser »

Thanks SeaQuell, my local marina recommended plastic as well, they said the plastic would at some point fail but we probable not live long enough to see it happen. I was hoping to go from 72 to around 100 gallons. There is not much desiel on the Saint John River.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Stainless is probably the best option as the welds don't get eaten by diesel fuel bug like aluminium tanks.

316 stainless at minimum but if you do have to go aluminium then you will need 5083 grade.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mark Deeser »

Thanks Tree, sounds like you have a real grasp of this. I'll price out the options an strengths of materials and make a choice. Have good information to work with.
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

Post by special k »

plastic......
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Replacement of fuel tank. Have had alum. go bad in two boats a Whaler 27 and a Grady White 24 offshore. After contact with the Whaler & Grady White it turned out both were manufactured in Florida by the same people. Whaler 89 and Grady White 88. The Grady was garaged kept and the Whaler slip moored. Still the life of the alum. was less than 15 years. My thoughts were to go with original replacement as it is unlikely they will go again in the normal life of the boat. Having said at this point in time would carefully investigate the new plastic tanks. Don't know much about them but they do seem to be the trend.
whwells "Howard"
dansitarz
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Key West FL

Post by dansitarz »

We are looking at replacing our tanks on a Albin 32 with custom poly tanks fabricated by Triple M Plastics in Maine, who have been making custom marine fuel tanks for many years (with baffles) for fishing boats. We'll keep this board posted on our success.
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mark Deeser »

Thanks dansitarz, sounds like good stuff, all about learning what works and lasts. Mark
dansitarz
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by dansitarz »

Have ordered poly fuel tanks for our 1996 32 Command Bridge from Triple M Plastics, in Kennebunk ME. Cost is $10/gallon. ie. 135 gallon tank is about $1350 and 125 gallon tank is about $1250. (FYI: starboard and port tanks are a little different on a 32). Considerably cheaper than aluminum and no need to coat tanks with Gluvit. Was able to still obtain original tank plans from Luther's in Bristol RI, who built the original tanks for Albin back in the day (though the fill/vent fittings were in slightly different places on my tanks because the Luther plans were for the latest iteration of the Albin--but the dimensions were exactly the same). Looks also that we will be able to ship the tanks individually as UPS ground as they are just under the maximum dimensions for a UPS shipment--saving lots of freight $ for a shipment from Maine to Florida Keys.
dansitarz
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by dansitarz »

One more thing, Triple M gives their tanks a life-time! warranty. www.triplemplastics.us.
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mark Deeser »

Dansitarz, thanks sounds good, kind of information that could prove beneficial.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”