• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 25, MD3B fuel filters

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Albin 25, MD3B fuel filters

Post by WillieC »

I think I have the fuel pump issue solved. (See post from a couple days ago.) PO had stacked at least 3 dissimilar washers on one of the banjo bolts, none of them seated.

Now, I am doing filters. There is a Racor 200FG see-through with water separator installed with a NAPA Gold 3207 element, micron rating unknown.
The Racor unit states 2000SM which is 2 micron. This is the first filter inline from the tank.

The second is the stock Bosch green can that uses Volvo Penta 876554 Fuel Filter Insert, $43 from Volvo plus about $10 shipping. At least the picture looks nice and the engine and year matches. (I really like to hold the thing in my hand before I send my credit card info to who knows who. Surely this isn't that obscure of a part?) Micron rating unknown.

So what have I got? The Bosch filter came out in two major pieces, the top had separated from the element, but it looked good. There is no crud whatsoever in the bottom of the can other than the loose paint chips and the deteriorated engine noise baffling insulation I dropped in there when I opened it. I suspect the PO or PPO couldn't find, or didn't look for the Bosch filter, or felt that adding the Racor was a good idea. I think it is. The Napa Gold filter had darkened crud in it toward the bottom of the element.

Do I need both filters? (The Bosch filter can, maybe without filter, needs to remain because of the connection for the fuel injection return. This is a simple engine and I have had no fuel problems in the two years I have owned it. Diesel hauled aboard in jerry can, half a gallon per hour goes a long way.

If I use both filters, should not the micron rating be staggered, i.e. the Racor filters out gravel and small animals and the Bosch gets everything else? And what should those micron numbers be? Installing the 2 micron filter in the Racor makes little sense if the downstream Bosch is 10 microns. Am I looking at this correctly?

Any useful comments would be much appreciated. We are located on Lower Hood Canal/Puget Sound and I would love to find someone nearby to chat with. This is our first boat, so I could be a pest but would try to rein it in.

Thanks!
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Re: Albin 25, MD3B fuel filters

Post by Russell »

Your are correct that stepwise filtration is the normal way to go. I have always used a 30 micron filter in the Racor and 10 micron on the Cummins spin-on fuel filter. I am not sure what my new Volvo has but I am sticking with their filters because these new continuous rail engines are more susceptible to fuel contamination. Here is another source for the Volvo filter but you have to check the shipping to see if it is any less. http://www.marinediscounters.com/
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: Albin 25, MD3B fuel filters

Post by WillieC »

Thanks for responding, Russ. I like the dual filter idea and your suggestion of 30/10 seems very reasonable. Now just finding the specs on actual filters...

Regards, Rick

Return to “Albin Maintenance”