• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

TOPSIDE PAINTS?

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

POPPA-T
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Larose, Louisiana

TOPSIDE PAINTS?

Post by POPPA-T »

I would like to here what some of you are using for topside paints and why? I will be starting to sand next month. I have a 1982 40' ALBIN TRAWLER.
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Re: TOPSIDE PAINTS?

Post by Jay Knoll »

I've been using Rustoleum Marine paint

http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalo ... side-paint

Its early days on its durability, I've only had one part of the deck painted for 3 months, the others are less than a month. Bought it at Lowes, around $12 quart for the topcoat, I think closer to $20 for the primer. I've been rolling it on and am pleased with how it flattens and the gloss. Other people in the marina have said that they've used it and it is very durable. I am using the sand beige for the decks and the oyster white for the pilot house where I've had to repair some rot. The sand beige isn't as dark as the color chip on the web. I've found that I need three coats to get a good deep color, but I'm putting on thin coats
mudskipper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mudskipper »

Last summer I did a big repair at the joint of the top deck, under the overhang, where it had cracked. This went almost all around the boatThe Old owner had jammed it full of all kinds of calk. With help and advise of a yacht painter I reefed out the old cruddy calk and filled it with fiberglass mat and filler. We then put two primer coats of INTERLUX two part linear polyurathane, and two finish coats. This was vertical walls of the cabin exterior. One of us rolled and one followed tipping with a brush. I t came out pretty good. It is hard to work with these paints because of limited pot life and dangerous fumes. If you use this stuff read and pay attention to the warnings on the can.You will need a full face fume mask. Have your local safety supplier look at MSD and get you correct mask .Without this protection your brains will be a pleasant memory. Is also expensive. Jay
POPPA-T
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Larose, Louisiana

Post by POPPA-T »

I have decided to use PETTIT EASYPOXY undercoat primer and PETTIT EASYPOXY off white one part polyurethane. If the weather is good should start this weekend.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”