• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Radar Reflectors

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Radar Reflectors

Post by Tree »

Afternoon All,

Just a quick, What radar reflector are you using (ideally 28TE specific) as I have noticed 28's don't show up on radar all that well!

Cheers

Lee
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Radar Reflectors

Post by jleonard »

Lee, While my comments are not 28 TE specific, I will tell you what I know.
Several years ago I got passed by and then followed 2 boats from my marina , both of which had the aluminum Davis multi sided ball type of reflector.
The flybridge boat had his mounted on rail on the bridge. The express cruiser beside him had not yet mounted his...it was shoved under the helm seat awaiting that project to get to the top of the list.

Both boats displayed the identical square blip on my radar screen for about 3 miles, then both boats took a 90 degree turn and entered a harbor and I lost them.

Based on that I would say that this type of reflector will work just fine for you. No matter if or where you mount it.

On my current Albin, my reflector is under the helm seat on the bridge :D . I have been told my boat shows up just fine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

Thats not a bad idea - i can only see one issue with the 28 though not having overhead storage anywhere. The good thing about those type is they don't get water trapped in them messing about with the signal!
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
denchen
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Boston UK

Post by denchen »

These posts have given food for thought. Any radar reflective material on board would be better than GRP, and I`m thinking of putting reflective material in a locker. The higher the better but low down in an empty locker would be better than nothing.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

And then there is the story a boating friend told me about a aluminum pie plate, a fishing pole, a 13 ft Whaler, and the fog.
My friend was anchored at Napatree (Watch Hill, RI.). His friend (not me) in a Whaler who was fishing stopped by for a beer near dusk.
The fog rolled in.
A few beers later, it was still pea soup. So my friend found a pie plate in his boat and they tied it to the fishing rod.
My friend fired up his radar, and using the VHF radio he "talked" his Whaler buddy about halfway up the Pawcatuck River to his cottage.
No easy feat considering a somewhat crowded anchorage, a windy river, and only a pie plate for a target.
The innovative solution impressed me.
Note that my friend boated on the Pawcatuck river his whole life.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

The Davis unit that Jay posted can easily have a bracket attached to enable a pemenant or temporary pole mounting from the radar arch or rooftop grab bars running stem to stern. These units are probably the most commonly used.

Like you I was told that my 28 showed up like a pin head to nothing on radar. I installed a medium Tri-Lens reflector on my antenna mast and was then told that that I was then a pretty large target. I now have the new one of the same unit in a box for install on the mast going on the 31.

You have choices. Here is a link to Tri-Lens - http://www.tri-lens.com/trilensweb12002001.htm
CIMG0141 (640x480).jpg
CIMG0907 (800x600).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

I was looking at those on eBay earlier. They're not cheap but certainly effective. Possibly could mount it under the radar as a location.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

Tree wrote:I was looking at those on eBay earlier. They're not cheap but certainly effective. Possibly could mount it under the radar as a location.
I've seen the medium/standard Tri Lens out there from $149 US to $229 US. I paid $149.

All reflectors are passive and rely on the other boaters having radar, other boaters having their radar mounted on the correct plane and in weather having the know how to distiguish and adjust clutter.

Heading east in flat calm no weather pea soup fog on Long Island Sound near the Race I had a close call with a yahoo flying in his roughly 30 ft. FRP double outboard center console with a T-top mounted radar pointing high to the heavens so he wasn't going to pick up anything but low flyng aircraft. He didn't reflect a target until about a 1/4 of a mile off my port side quartering bow on a course to pass off of my bow. His target was the size of a pin head. I was traveling 5-7 knots and pulled back as he flew by right in front giving me the high middle finger salute as I put my arms up in frustration. A little later on the same trip in between New London and Block Island I picked up a monster target off of my starboard rear quarter comng hard about 2 miles away which turned out to be a ferry who identified himself & position and asked who and what I was. When I told him he said I was giving off a pretty strong return for such a little boat. I liked hearing that. What a difference within a such a short time.

Whichever way you go get something and be able to post it up in order to give off a good target.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Pitou wrote:as he flew by right in front giving me the high middle finger salute ..
He was clearly from CT or RI, definitely not NY!
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

RobS wrote:
Pitou wrote:as he flew by right in front giving me the high middle finger salute ..
He was clearly from CT or RI, definitely not NY!
"Clearly" :wink: ... CT
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

Well, I KNOW it was not me this time!...I can't "fly by" anyone. :lol:
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

This boat was berthed near me in a transient slip a couple seasons back, he must have been almost run over one time or he just likes things symmetrical..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

Or he works in the department of redundancy department.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

jleonard wrote:Or he works in the department of redundancy department.
That reminds me of my friend who is an avid skydiver and has a T-shirt "U.S. Dept of Gravity"
It's a somewhat official looking shirt and you'd be surprised how many times people actually inquire with him about it.
It is usually the "kids" working cash registers, you know the ones, those that can't count change to save their life and once you throw a few cents on the counter to even things out all hell breaks loose!
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

mudskipper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mudskipper »

I have gone thru many guard checkpoints for years as THE FEDERAL LUNCH INSPECTOR .. YUP GO ON IN. My marina owner says I have a commanding presence

Return to “Albin Maintenance”