• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Looking at 28 TE engine box 1999 asking 63k

Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: Looking at 28 TE engine box 1999 asking 63k

Post by Tree »

I'll vouch for weather like that. We got caught out mid English channel with 24 knots of wind on the nose earlier this year. Seas were very similar, only a bit colder!
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Mntry_Goodson
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Monterey, CA

Post by Mntry_Goodson »

Hi Steve.

I have a 1999 28TE, engine box, equipped with the Yanmar 6LP-STE. The original Yanmar Operation Manual does show 300 horsepower at 3800 rpm. Mine currently has 2050 hours on it and I just had it's third timing belt put in it.

Odds are, that like mine, the serial number of your engine will fall in the serial number range of engines that were reported to have valve issues. I investigated this pretty thoroughly back in 2008 when I bought mine and learned from on-line resources and certified Yanmar mechanics that the engine needs to be run hard at higher rpm's every 10 or so hours to "blow out the cobwebs". I've followed this advice and had zero problems. As a fisherman, this shouldn't be an issue as the problem develops when "harbor" cruising is the normal use. You can Google the problem and find the same info I did some years back.

Rough seas handling is enhanced in the engine box hull as the rudder is notably larger than the flush deck hull and generally considered oversize for boats of it's size. This in combination with the skeg, which protects and supports the rudder, gives impressive stability when you're "running for it". Being on the Pacific Coast, I'll admit to not using the best judgment a couple of times and found myself a bunch of miles off shore after tuna when sea conditions exceeded the NOAA forecast (not recommended!). Oversize bilge pumps are worth the investment too as in rough seas with wind and boat speed there is a surprising amount of water that enters the engine compartment via the port and starboard air vents in the hull. Consider putting screen over them to minimize this as well.

It's one heck of a boat. Good luck.
Darryl
"Terry Lee II"
1999 28TE 6LP
Engine box / Trailer
Monterey, CA
CaptSteve
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Norwich,CT

Post by CaptSteve »

Thank you for all the excellent information. Looking to get as much as possible. So far I am leading towards the engine box, with Cummins 330 or 370 and a trailer. I am accustomed to towing larger boats as I normally pull my 26' all over the place putting 200-250 hrs on her. If the sale of my boat happens and I get the Albin I want I plan on slipping it but want to be able to trailer it when I need to or want to.
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

Post by special k »

if you seriously have your eye on an albin you really like it may not be available when you finally sell existing boat. i just couldn't pass my albin when i found it even though i still owned my hydra sport. happy i didn't wait and sold the h-s the following year.

good luck!
CaptSteve
First Mate
First Mate

Post by CaptSteve »

Unfortunately "SpecialK" I don't have your crazy cash and can't afford two payments! I do hope mine sells before the two similaiar boats I am looking at closely are sold but for now i can only look & drool a little. :). I have looked into the cost of a trailer for it as there aren't any available at this time, an area for a slip and feasibility of doing both. Just need to pull that trigger.
Copacabana
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Deerfield Beach , FL

Post by Copacabana »

I have to sell my Albin (2006 28TE Flush Deck with trailer included).

The price I need to get to pay it off it seems to be arround your budget.

Let me know if you are still looking for one.

Thank you

Marcio (954)652-9448
CaptSteve
First Mate
First Mate

Post by CaptSteve »

Sounds good but unfortunately I don't have much of a budget until I sell mine. Got any pics? Email scrdanis@gmail.com
JIMBO44
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: PORT ST LUCIE FLORIDA

Post by JIMBO44 »

Take a look at a post from Matter of Time re: three day cruise down east coast of Florida. My Admiral would shoot me if I ever mentioned getting rid of our 1994 28TE, it has the Yanmar 4 cyl, I have no trouble at all at sea, or fishing in rough seas. With the price of diesel fuel I am very happy as the boat just does not use much fuel.

jimbo44

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”