• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Looking at 28 TE engine box 1999 asking 63k

CaptSteve
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Norwich,CT

Looking at 28 TE engine box 1999 asking 63k

Post by CaptSteve »

I need to clarify the engine it's a Yanmar 300 or 315. It's a clean well maintained vessel. Most boats have something to look for and was wondering if you owners could help me become a happy owner myself. How does it really handle in rough seas? I am looking to do a lot of fishing and looks like the boat is challenged in regards to fish box. I also believe the wife will enjoy this boat cruising more as well.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: Looking at 28 TE engine box 1999 asking 63k

Post by Tree »

Assuming its a 99 engine then it will be a 300 - the difference between the engines is negligible and I wouldn't be worried if its the earlier engine or the later one.

If it is a 300 be sure that the engine doesn't fall in the class with the valve seal problems - if it does then check to ensure the problem has been sorted.

With regards to the boat - you see that box that says tick if it does everything you would expect from a boat much bigger? Tick that.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

Post by special k »

love my 2002 28te w/315 yanmar. we fish it hard and do a fair amount of weekending and cruising. awesome handling in rough seas sturdy and reliable. yes, there are no in deck fish boxes. we use the live well for smaller ground fish , fluke, sea bass etc. an on deck cooler at the stern works fine for our striper/bluefish/blackfish box and even holds smaller shark and tuna. for the longer trips for pelagics a body bag might be necessary.

all in all a great pocket battlewagon with creature comforts.

my wife and i also find this boat to be perfect for us as couples boat. a little too cozy for overnight guests but do-able.
Last edited by special k on Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
poillon1

Post by poillon1 »

We have a 28 TE with Cummins engine for sale north shore Long Island. $56,900 - Reel McCoy -
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

CapSteve: All I hear on the 28te is favorable. I am in between boats but my last 35TE Yanmar's was a great package. Have friends in the NW with the engine box who love the boats/ and several that I know in Brookings, Or. with the flush deck all very happy with the boats.
whwells "Howard"
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

The best thing about our 28TE is that my wife loves it. She may occasionally feel uncomfortable in rough seas, but NEVER UNSAFE. It is a wonderful and reliable boat. We too, have the 300HP Yanmar. In 11 years of ownership and approximately 850 hours, we have never been stranded, ever.
Don.
CaptSteve
First Mate
First Mate

Post by CaptSteve »

Love all the positve reports on the boat and engine. I am new to Diesel engine ownership other than my truck. Is it possible to run home heating fuel through these engines, after some more filtering, without causing damage. I live in CT and the governor taxes everything around here.
MadMoney
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seattle Washington

Post by MadMoney »

We've had our 99' 28TE with the 300hp Yanmar for 10 years now. 2,400ish hours later, I still love the boat.
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by special k »

CaptSteve wrote:Love all the positve reports on the boat and engine. I am new to Diesel engine ownership other than my truck. Is it possible to run home heating fuel through these engines, after some more filtering, without causing damage. I live in CT and the governor taxes everything around here.

hell yeah, difference between heating oil and diesel is red dye. not sure about the ultra low sulfur fuels but all diesel i purchase on the mystic river is red dyed diesel
aka home heating oil
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

We have a slight difference here on heating oil and red diesel. Heating oil, is generally very poor quality red diesel, the dye is only put in it for taxation purposes in general - but if you were to use red diesel in a modern day car with common rail injection, the quality of that diesel is not as good a white diesel.

It may be worth clarifying if there is any difference between heating oil and red diesel over there?

I do recall reading something once about the yanmar fuel filters having something in them that the diesel slowly breaks down over the course of a season or "X" many hours that is there to lubricate the fuel pump.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
CaptSteve
First Mate
First Mate

Post by CaptSteve »

@Tree- I guess that is the bottom line I have been trying to get to. What is the difference between the two? The marinas are dyed red for identification of "off road" use as I understand, but what is the chemical break down? Is HH oil have a difference in Suspended solids or chemical composition? Can the white diesel specs be met by adding a chemical additive or further filtering. I understand the tolerances and emission requirements within the fuel system are not the same in regards to the newer Diesel engines vs those of older engines. Assumptions are all over but the definite answer is difficult to come by.
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by special k »

don't know the chemical compositions i can only attest to using red dyed diesel (heating oil) in my equipment and marine diesels for decades with no ill effect. my friend who owns an oil delivery company assures me that all red dyed diesel, marine and home oil come out of the same tanks at the fuel depots. he also supplies fuel to large contractors with equipment far more valuable than my boat. that is the extent of my research.

my only concerns would be with the very new engines engineered for ultra low sulfur fuel of which i know nothing about and do not own.

all in all you do what you are comfortable with, i will continue doing what works for my diesels and my pocketbook.

my yanmar powered vessel has always been launched with full tank of home heating oil every season for the last six years. fwiw

cheers and merry Christmas!
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

It may be the case that you guys over there have different classes of fuel oil - we have four.

one being boiler oil which has to be preheated to make it work

one being fuel oil - which is pretty poor quality diesel oil that can freeze in low temperatures and shouldn't be used in engines

one being red diesel - which although is the same as white diesel that is dyed red, the quality isn't as good as white diesel as it doesn't contain the additives that road going fuel does

and the remaining being road use fuel.

With regards to sulphur content - some engines can deal with it, others can't. Volvos are particularly bad as the bronze tipped injectors take a pounding but there are additives on the market that can be added to deal with this BG products ( who i believe are an American firm anyway) have some pretty good stuff.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Halcyon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Halcyon »

My diesel mechanic (Bat Shore in Annapolis) strongly advised against using heating oil in the Yanmars.
eseyoung
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Marathon, FL

Post by eseyoung »

Special K is correct. "Heating oil" and #2 off road diesel are the exact thing. I am not as sure of what is on the market in Europe, i think that 'fuel oil' is still higher in sulphur than diesel and not winter treated so it will gel up.

either way, here in the us the only thing that is different between on road the stuff you get at truck stops and it's red twin brother is dye.

Less the dye, Off road diesel, on road diesel and heating oil are identical. In case you didn't guess the dye means no highway tax has been paid.

I am not sure how a diesel mechanic could not know that. My hope would be that he could have be cautioning you against going to a basement and pumping out yours or a friend's tank. While the fuel is the same, the fuel in there can be years old and have contaminants that would be bad for your engine...even if your oil fired furnace uses it just fine. Oil burners in heating systems will burn just about anything you feed them and are no where near as particular about fuel contaminates as a motor.

Whilst we are on the topic...sulphur isn't necessarily a bad thing, it lucubrates pumps and injectors. Somewhere around 2006 the US switched from LSD (low sulphur diesel) to ULSD (ultra low sulphur diesel). I don't know the numbers off the top of my head but I think it dropped from 200ppm sulpher to 20 ppm again, don't quote my numbers.

What i do know is that my truck hates it i have been adding a pint of 2 stroke oil to compensate for the lack of lube since the change over (truck is a 2004 duramax). It will run on ULSD but the pump and injectors clatter.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”