• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Awl grip installation cost

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Awl grip installation cost

Post by Serenity »

I am contemplating having the hull awl gripped in the spring. With a green hull and the oxidation, the hull looks like someone sprayed white paint on it. The firm I am considering wants $225.00 per foot, and on a 28 TE, that is $6300.00. He states that it will last 10-15 years. The price seems fair or is it?
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
elad

Re: Awl grip installation cost

Post by elad »

That price seems fair to me. Three years ago I had my 28 TE hull awl gripped for $7,200 but that was with two extra coats of clear on top of the flag blue. I wanted extra scratch protection but not sure it was worth it,

You will love the paint vs gel coat. It is so nice to never have to polish and wax again. Just be more careful about dings and scratches. They really show up against the mirror shine. You will also see water spots more but they wash right off. A couple of coats of Awl Care once in a while improves the surface shine.

Good luck - you will not regret it.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

If you feel like cruising the Chesapeake there's an outfit in Cambridge that charges 100 per ft. plus 250 for the boot stripe. They have done a few Albins around here.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

Elad's comments are spot on. Had the Carol Marie done in '08 and it looks ALMOST like the day it was done - except for some dings due to my occasional inept boat handling. I would disagree, only slightly though, re Elad's water spot comment; they come off but not THAT easily.
You won't regret having it done. (my paint job was $6300, in 2008.)
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

John, what is would cost me to go to the Chesapeake would pay for the cost of the awl grip. :D
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Serenity wrote:John, what is would cost me to go to the Chesapeake would pay for the cost of the awl grip. :D
True. Possibly more. But, it would be an adventure. 8)
John
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

John I already had my adventure, 4 years in the Navy, 3 of which was spent in the Caribbean. 42 years married to the same woman, now that is a true adventure that only comes around once. :lol:
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

42 years married to the same woman, now that is a true adventure that only comes around once. :lol:
Yes. That is the adventure that lasts a lifetime. I'm at 33 years...and counting. :P
John
Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex CT

Post by Jack »

The price sounds right. I paid about $7000 in the spring of 2013 at Brewer Dauntless Shipyard in Essex CT. I was pleased with the attention to detail, like filling any depressions and putting enough coats of Awlgrip on. You might get it cheaper but check on know how and quality. Will they give you a list of customers to call to see if they were pleased? It's a big expense, so it's worth checking out.
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

Thanks Jack. Good point about the references.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
elad

Post by elad »

carolmarie wrote:Elad's comments are spot on. Had the Carol Marie done in '08 and it looks ALMOST like the day it was done - except for some dings due to my occasional inept boat handling. I would disagree, only slightly though, re Elad's water spot comment; they come off but not THAT easily.
You won't regret having it done. (my paint job was $6300, in 2008.)
True, the water spots are pesky. I use a diluted vinegar solution after a good washing. Takes the salty spots right off. Also, be sure to dry the hull with a micro fiber towel after washing.
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

I think I might have an issue with drying the hull off with a towel. Unless, I can find someone to hang over the gunnel with long arms.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
elad

Post by elad »

Serenity wrote:I think I might have an issue with drying the hull off with a towel. Unless, I can find someone to hang over the gunnel with long arms.
Wrap the towel over your deck brush. Hold it on with a clothes pin or clamp. Extend the handle and dry from on board or from the dock. Simple.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

My hull is Awl Grip green and looks great. I'll take the few minimal water spots that can only be seen when very, very close to the hull over a chalky finish in a few months after buffing and polishing gelcoat. Step back 10 feet and the water spots go away! :lol: After launch, I wash with AwlWash and rinse.

I will say that if you towel dry with a micrfiber towel or chamois the hull glistens. The guy next to me gives his boat the full routine after each time he uses his boat. His boat is 100% Awl Grip above and below the rub rail and looks great. All the power to it, but spending 2 hours washing and drying after every boat outing is not on my dance card. He also has his own water softening system connected to his hose bib.

Again, I only wash and rinse. and sometimes it's just rinse and it looks great! Step right up Max, you'll love it! :wink:
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Albin Maintenance”