• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Wood Trim and Swim Platform

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

PonusNick
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stamford, CT

Wood Trim and Swim Platform

Post by PonusNick »

I am now the proud owner of a very well cared for Albin 27 Express. Well cared for in every respect but the woodwork (window trim, grab rails, swim platform) needs to be brightened up. Assuming the wood it teak (I'm not sure) will any ordinary teak oil do a good enough job?
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Warwick, RI

Re: Wood Trim and Swim Platform

Post by mike66 »

Congrats on your purchase and here's to many good times on the water. What to do with teak is the subject of many discussions. On my 40 I have used cetol light covered by cetol gloss over everything that won't be walked on. Swim plarform gets nothing but an occasional buff with 220 grit sandpaper when it gets too weathered, and cleaning with a soft brush against the grain with seawater and mild boat soap once in a while. My experience with teak oil as an outdoor product has been very negative.
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
SUSAN HELENA 1985 40' Trawler
Halcyon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Halcyon »

I have had good luck with Sikkens Cetol.
djblackwood
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Kingston, Ontario

Post by djblackwood »

I concur with the Cetol Light + Cetol Gloss on everything except the swim platform. Raw unfinished teak is best for anything you might walk on such as the swim platform. Any finish you use will make it more slippery. A light sanding or cleaning periodically is all you need.
D. J. Blackwood
"Fortunate"
27 Family Cruiser
Kingston, Ontario

Return to “Albin Maintenance”