• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Winter fuel storage

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

sweetwater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oakdale

Winter fuel storage

Post by sweetwater »

Was just reading the "full or empty" debate on another forum. Everyone's main concern seems to be condensation from the tank breathing all winter. I have always taped a plastic bag loosely over the fuel vent to act as a bladder, so the tank breathes the same air all winter. With the full tank it hardly expands or contracts at all, but it definitely does. Don't know if its luck.. But never a moisture issue here. Just as an FYI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Winter fuel storage

Post by RobS »

Hey Mike, good to see you here.

My $0.02:
Diesel = fill it to 3/4 to 7/8ths
Gas = use it up, drain it, siphon it and use it elsewhere.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

This can be a real issue. My current practice is to fill the boat and the end of each trip year around. Well, at least before I sold Nibbles. Had a 27 Boston Whaler (only new boat ever purchased) with Alum. tanks and later a Grady White Off Shore with Alum. tank. Both tanks failed when I was out fishing with lots of fuel in the bottom of the boat.
Had to call for help and still scared me to death with the Whaler as it had twin 350 IB's and no kicker to get home. The Grady White had a 25 Kicker so was able to get home with it. Still was worried to death as the fumes were horrible.
Turned out that the same tank manufacturer in Florida.. had built both tanks for Whaler and Grady White. They go bad from the inside out. Was not as careful in those days about keeping a full tank. Live and learn. So whatever you do think about the safety issue. Both my boats were gas but even with diesel you don't won't to be pulling tanks and cutting up the floorboard.
Sure hope I find the next Albin soon as I am not handling Albin - less well.
whwells "Howard"
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

I use ValvTect diesel fuel exclusively and don't do anything special for storage. I've practiced this for 7 years with no issues.
Each spring, change both primary and secondary filters. Done.
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Like Rob said 3/4 maybe 5/8 then walk away. I never have added anything for winter in 25 years never had a problem.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

jleonard wrote:Like Rob said 3/4 maybe 5/8 then walk away. I never have added anything for winter in 25 years never had a problem.
I am with Jay on this one. Never had problems. I do not add anything to the fuel.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”