• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 Engine Size?

Albin's "power cruisers"
mkh8911
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ashland City, TN

A25 Engine Size?

Post by mkh8911 »

My Volvo MD3B was seized when I bought my boat and after taking it apart it looks like I'm going to need to re-power. I know the Beta 25 and 35 hp are popular and a bit expensive. I have a friend at a boatyard that has a Cummins/Onan generator that has a Kubota v2203 engine (40 hp) that I can get free. This engine has 525 hrs. and is in great shape. I'll need a bellhousing/transmission adapter and will need to remove the governor, add gauges, etc.

Question: Is this engine too big for the A25? Has anyone ever installed an engine in a A25 that was just too large and you were sorry you did it? This seems like a good opportunity to re-power on the cheap. I know it will be some work to adapt to the boat but what do you think?
Thanks,
Kevin
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Re: A25 Engine Size?

Post by NickScheuer »

How does the Kubota compare in dimensional size and weight? If it fits, and isn't too much heavier, the added 5hp shouldn't be a worry. I once saw a website tale about an Albin-25 with 60hp. Now THAT seemed a bit much.
don123
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by don123 »

Assuming it came from a marine genset and it's already set up for fresh water cooling, I think it would be a good choice. Finding a marine gear to fit it might be a problem, but finding parts for the engine in the future would be really easy - The used that engine in all sorts of equipment and there are thousands of them out there

Don
mkh8911
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ashland City, TN

Post by mkh8911 »

Yes, it's a fresh water cooled marine genset. I believe its about the same weight as the old MD3B, 500 pounds with tranny. It may be closer to 50 hp, depending on whose specs you look at. looking into a tranny and adapter plate now. Might need a flywheel housing as well. May be getting into a mess. Situation normal, you know the rest.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”