• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A 25 Deluxe Engine Access

Albin's "power cruisers"
Foreverunstopable
Mate
Mate

A 25 Deluxe Engine Access

Post by Foreverunstopable »

Accessing the rear of the engine quite easy by removing the top hatch of our engine box.

Trying to access the rest of the engine by removing the full engine box is quite difficult. The adjacent floor panels had to be removed and then it's a tight rope walk to not fall off the beams onto the fuel tank or water intake.

The engine box feels like it weighs close to 75lbs and I'm not looking forward to changing a belt or impeller while in a seaway.

How does everyone else manage? Is there a better way?
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Re: A 25 Deluxe Engine Access

Post by NickScheuer »

One move we made was to replace the original bench seat with a pair of swivel/locking seats. Only the passenger seat need be removed to take off the engine covers. The helm seat is supported by a shorter post mounted on an extension of the starboard cockpit seat.

When accessing the engine I can stow the passenger seat in the aft cabin, then put the engine big engine cover on the port cockpit seat, with the smaller top on top of the aft cabin. In three years we have not had to remove the big engine cover while out on the water.
Sven_G
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Västervik, Sweden

Post by Sven_G »

I've had the same question. I think we have the stock cover and bench seat (pre A25 Deluxe). There is a small round plate for engine access but I am not sure how you open it. What is the small engine cover you two mention ?

For us to get into the engine is a major operation. First we have to slide/remove the bench seat. Then we have to remove the carpet and cockpit sole behind the engine cover. Finally (after opening the bulkhead door) we lift up the engine cover.

Even if one changes nothing else, it seems like there should be some engine cover gas struts to hold the engine cover up after all that is done to keep from killing the mechanic when work is being done ? Or, do you typically remove the cover, not just tilt it up ?

Fortunately our little 19 hp diesel just keeps on going so oil top-up is all that ever seems to be needed but if the engine quit out at sea just getting to it might be more of an issue than fixing the problem.

Installing access doors might be a solution but that would really be major surgery and might compromise strength and noise integrity.

Suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks.
-Sven

Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Post by NickScheuer »

Looking at the engine box on a Deluxe, Sven_G, about two-thirds of the top surface, along with a bit of wrap-around on sides and rear, unfastens so we can check oil. The remainder of the box is a PIA to remove.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

On "La Dolce Vita", my 1971 pre-Deluxe model 25 is much like Sven_G's, same procedure to lift the engine cover. On ours one of the past owners cut out a rectangular access hole on starboard edge on top of the box about 6 X 10 inches with a wood insert cover that allows checking oil and coolant levels on the Yanmar 3GM30F engine w/out lifting the whole box. Was also have the stock bench seat. Must say from experience that the bench seat is not very comfortable. Sits too close to the steering wheel & hits my knees (steering wheel on ours is a s/s Destroyer style wheel with wood handles), and the seat is too high. Need to made/add some footrests.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Sven_G
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Västervik, Sweden

Post by Sven_G »

Many thanks for the replies.

It would really make a lot of sense to have the top of the big engine cover removable as a separate part, at least the part that doesn't support the seat.

Regarding seat height and comfort:

- On Bali there is a tiny footrest i front of the helm (starboard, on the bulkhead).

- Bali also has a wooden box under the helms(wo)man's feet that is level with the top of the starboard cockpit settee behind it. The lid of the box opens to reveal a compartment where funnels, oil, starter fluid, grease and so on are conveniently stored. Lifting out that box to get to the batteries below is a pain too, but we don't need to do that very often.

- Bali had another box on top of the engine cover on the port side under the helm seat. It made the whole seat area foot area level but we took it out simply because it made engine access even more difficult.

- The helm seat is adjustable fore-aft on a sliding rail on the starboard side so we can get the wheel not to hit us in the knees.

I think we'll look into where the oil and water access door would need to be with our "new" trusty little 19 HP engine and see about cutting those holes.

Thanks again.

-Sven

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”