• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Thermostat Temperature

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

Thermostat Temperature

Post by amber jj »

What temperature of thermostat should I be using in our 370 6bta's.I took out 180's and have since read in other forums that I should use 160's.Others say 180's.Which is correct?
jetter
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Skerryvore , Ontario

Re: Thermostat Temperature

Post by jetter »

Boatdiesel number is 180f-185f. I am installing a new thermostat tomorrow. Picked up at Cummins dealer today. Part #3802968, 180F. If you run 160f you will have white smoke because of unburned fuel. I am currently smoking, which I believe is caused by the current thermostat being stuck in the open position. The result is engine temp in the 150 range. (cold in Georgian Bay this year!)
Russell
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

Re: Thermostat Temperature

Post by amber jj »

Thanks I did pick up a 180 today,but had second thoughts after reading some other forums.I will continue with the 180.
I also took the after cooler off on Tue.pulled it apart and the tubes were clean as a whip.When I took it to the rad shop to have it pressure tested after putting the caps back on and the technician asked if I wanted it cleaned,I told him it was fine.When he told me to look into the lower discharge port,I was completely surprised to see a oily looking goop over what looked like a small rad inside the after cooler.I did not even know it was in there.I am stilling learning about these engines.
Hopefully this will help cure my overheating problem where this project started from.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”