• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Steering

Albin's "power cruisers"
Larry1942
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gulfport, Florida, USA

Steering

Post by Larry1942 »

Have had my 1984 27FC for ten months now and am working on list number two of all the items a boat owner should know about his vessel.
While motoring around the Tampa Bay area it is hard to hold a straight course that indicates to me that I might have a little play in the rudder/steering system. Normally I would just dive in and start taking things apart but at age 72 and without any maintenance manuals for this boat, I thought it more prudent to ask other owners if they might know how to adjust the play in the steering before I reinvent the wheel. So if any of you can help and /or know where I might get an owners manual for this vessel, feel free to enlighten me.

In a previous post, I asked for the possibel source of an owner / operating manual for the original First Mate auto pilot. :D
AKDW
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SEWARD

Re: Steering

Post by AKDW »

My was doing the same thing and I opened the access port below the wheel and found a end of the shaft the wheel is attached to. This has two nuts one for tightening the other a lock nut. I tighted this a bit the steering stiffed and the wandering was reduced. This is a 9/16 nut I think. This is all assuming you have the cable steering like mine.
Marcy K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cape Cod MA

Post by Marcy K »

We had the same problem on AKDW's boat "Willet" when we owned her. Back around 2002 or so, we replaced the steering cable which was original. It stands to reason that it would need tightening after some 12 years and countless engine hours not to mention the trip across country from Westbrook CT to Seward Alaska!!

Marcy K
A 34 Paumanok 1986
Falmouth/Redbrook Harbor, MA
Marcy K
A 34 Paumanok 1986
Cape Cod MA
AKDW
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SEWARD

Post by AKDW »

Mary,
Willet is still running strong and has been a good choice for us. Wish had a video of us landing a sixty pound halibut into the cockpit this summer. New LED cabin lights and liner for the aft cabin are nice additions as well as Alaska bulkhead behind the steering station.
Don from Mystic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Don from Mystic »

The housing of the steering cable (RUDDER END) is attached to the inside of aft cabin berth. Have someone turn the wheel left and right while you observe the housing. Mine was "sloppy" from wear. I fabricated a new attachment piece from a ball and socket type used on outboards. It has worked very well for me and improved the steering not to mention made it safe again.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”