• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Benmar Course Setter 21

Albin's "power cruisers"
AKDW
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SEWARD

Benmar Course Setter 21

Post by AKDW »

Does anyone have experience with the Benmar Course Setter 21 Autopilot on an ALBIN 27 FC? I'm considering one for my 27 and wonder about installation challenges.
EZC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Monterey mooring

Re: Benmar Course Setter 21

Post by EZC »

I just recently installed one on my 27sc. I have had it for over 25 years on two other boats. I don't have hydraulic steering it has a lovejoy coupling on the drive unit and one on the back of the rack steering. It holds the boat pretty well in a stiff wind and fairly large seas. I feel Benmar has always offered good customer support when I had issues. It is the only auto pilot I have owned so I have nothing to compare it to. Todays technology is light years ahead of the one I have but for a very basic unit it holds the boat fine.
EZC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by EZC »

To add to my last post, I did have to cut a hole into the bathroom(5x9) to install the drive unit.
AKDW
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by AKDW »

Where did you mount the power unit and the control box?
And i am not familiar with a lovejoy coupling.
EZC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by EZC »

I mounted the drive unit directly behind the steering wheel and the steering cable.. I had to use a different steering cable called rack steering. This cable has a shaft that extends out behind the "rack" so it allows you to connect the drive unit to the steering. On the shaft I put a lovejoy coupling and a lovejoy coupling on the shaft that comes out of the drive unit so that way you can "couple" them together. You can google lovejoy coupling and see what I mean. I think seeing it would explain it a lot better than I could. They are very easy to use. Measure the diameter of both shafts and use the appropriate sized coupling. I already had the rack cable from an old boat so that was one less expense for me. The control box I mounted to the ceiling above the console behind the light so that it is out of the way but easy to reach. I did have to cut a hole in the bathroom so that the drive unit fit. It extends into the bathroom about 2-3". The cutout was a little bigger than the width and height of the drive unit. It worked for me but I already had all the equipment so I didn't have to buy anything. If I had to buy some of the parts I would look around to see what other options there are.
AKDW
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by AKDW »

Thanks for that clear description. I think I can do this now.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”