• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Freshwater boats

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

cainmha
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Lexington, MI

Freshwater boats

Post by cainmha »

I note that freshwater boats are usually billed as such in their "for sale" ads. I am wondering if buyers are really willing to pay a premium for a freshwater boat. In other words, if there are two twenty-five year old Albins, one having a salt water history and one having been used only in freshwater, should they really be priced differently?

Sorry if my questions seem naïve, but I have lived on the Great Lakes all my life, and I don't have experience with cruising in salt water or its effects on boats. Also, my husband's health has been such a problem that we are unable to launch our 87 Albin FC this summer, and may have to sell it next year. I am trying to learn what I can now, so I can be prepared to list the boat next year if it comes to that.

Thanks in advance for your input.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Freshwater boats

Post by jleonard »

The answer is definately...it depends.
If the bilge stays dry, and zincs are used there is nothing wrong with a saltwater boat.
I've had both, my current boat was a Lake Ontario boat, but it was better than the saltwater boats I looked, not for anything that touches salt water though.
Personally I believe that rainwater has the potential to do more damage if it gets past screws, deck joints, window frames, etc.

However I think there may be a "general perception" out there that a freshwater boat may be a better buy. Maybe not worth more money, but may sell faster.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I would agree that it depends greatly on the boat. I actually shy away from freshwater boats,unless I know that they were originally designed and built with saltwater use in mind, and then I would still pay careful attention to any repairs or upgrades that have been made by the previous owner. Solely freshwater use can hide what most saltwater boaters would consider defects, such as non-stainless fasteners and hardware. Also, freshwater boats are more prone to have rotten stringers or floors. That said, most people perceive that a used boat that has seen only freshwater service will be in generally better condition than one that has been used primarily in saltwater. That may or may not translate to a higher price. It will, most likely mean that more people will look at your boat FIRST, before looking at others. That is a double-edged sword, though, because most people don't buy the first boat they look at.
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

IN MY OPINION, there in no question that a fresh water boat is worth a premium (and a large one at that) provided, of course, that the boat has been maintained responsibly. I've owned a fresh water 28TE for thirteen years, maintained it "normally" and it's in nearly showroom condition both aesthetically and mechanically. The "horror" stories I read here on the AOG site re changing exhaust risers, heat exchangers, elbows, shaft seals, fuel tanks, water heaters, etc., etc., etc., ....are incredible.
Capt Kangeroo
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Great Lakes, Canada

Post by Capt Kangeroo »

While JL is absolutely right, rain water does far-far more damage to boats than the type of water they float in, I also completely agree with carolmarie. I have been a freshwater boater all of my life but moved to salt water a few years ago. I am aghast at the extra work & maintenance costs which despite best efforts only seems to slow the deterioration. If ever I'm in the market again I also would pay a substantial premium for a freshwater boat. Keep in mind however that the most important factor comparing salt water boats & northern freshwater boats is that the latter is only in the water for a few months of the year and for the bulk of their lives they are tucked away from the elements in inside storage or shrink wrapped. You would be hard pressed to find a painted 15 year old boat on the Great Lakes, in salt water down south virtually all of them are painted at least once by this age.
meridian
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Looper

Post by meridian »

I've had both and both have advantages and disadvantages. Great Lakes boats could have hidden damage from freezing. I find southern boats are more cosmetic from sun exposure.
-------------------------------
Terry
wpcv1776
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Redondo Beach, CA

Post by wpcv1776 »

If the perception is out there (and it is) that freshwater boats have received less abuse, then you do have a slight advantage.

But

If you sell it in the Great Lakes area, then most of the other boats for sale will also be "fresh water boats" and you have no advantage. If you were near Miami with a boat only used in freshwater the advantage might be more substantial.
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I think comparing Great Lakes boats to Gulf Coast an SE Atlantic boats is not a fair comparison. There's more to the difference between those two markets than salt vs. fresh. Boats take a serious beating in the Southeastern US, not just from saltwater, but also from the sun, heat, hurricanes, and a year-round boating season.

Out here, because the freshwater and saltwater boats are more intermingled, I think you can more accurately see the differences that are specifically attributable to fresh vs. salt water use, when looking at the used boat market. It fundamentally comes down to three things; rot, corrosion, and growth.

An unpainted boat left in saltwater will grow more stuff, more quickly, which attaches itself more permanently, than will a boat left in freshwater. This is easily prevented in both cases by regular cleanings and bottom painting.

Corrosion is the biggy. While it is essentially a non-issue on freshwater boats, it's a BIG issue on saltwater boats, and is the primary reason that freshwater boats tend to command a higher price. HOWEVER, if a boat is designed, built, and maintained with saltwater use in mind, it should be irrelevant. Albins (the newer ones, anyway) should have nothing in them which will corrode, whatsoever. Every single screw, bolt, hose clamp, and handrail should be of a non-ferrous metal (stainless steel), and essentially corrosion-proof. The only exception would be the engine, which should be properly protected in other ways (paint and zincs). The issue comes up when someone has a boat which was designed for saltwater use, but uses it only in freshwater, and then sells it to a saltwater boater. If they didn't hold true to the intent of the original builder, by sticking with corrosion-resistant materials for ALL their maintenance and repair work, there could be problems lurking for the new owner; a ferrous metal bolt or hose clamp, un-tinned electrical components, etc... They will look perfectly fine at the time of purchase, but will fall apart within a few months of use in saltwater. There are other little things...such as most freshwater boaters use magnesium annodes instead of zinc..meaning they all need to be replaced when the boat is moved to saltwater.

Another issue on older boats is wood rot. While freshwater will find it's way into a saltwater boat as well (rain), in the places where it tends to pool and soak in (bilges, floors, stringers, etc...), it generally mixes at least somewhat with some amount of saltwater. I'm not saying that a saltwater boat is impervious to rot, but it is far less common and severe than it is on freshwater boats. For those that don't know...saltwater does not cause wood to rot; in fact it helps preserve it. Of course, structural wood has pretty much disappeared from all new boats, so this is only an issue on older boats.

This is just my personal opinion, but all other factors being equal, if I'm looking at two boats side-by-side that are both in good condition; I'm buying the saltwater boat, because given it's good condition, I know that it's been well maintained. With a freshwater boat, I don't know. I could be in for a bunch of hidden nightmares.
wpcv1776
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Redondo Beach, CA

Post by wpcv1776 »

Mariner, You bring up some good points that I agree with. And believe me, I was not trying to compare a Great Lakes boat to a Florida boat. I was answering the original question strictly from a sales perspective. I was very careful to use the word "perception". In sales and marketing we use the term "perceived value" pretty often. If the perception is out there that something is worth more money because of "X" then you should charge more money for it. In this case, the fresh water boat. But, if you live in an area where all boats are "fresh water boats" then you lose your advantage.

What you are talking about is "Actual Value" instead of perceived value. She's not buying a boat, she's selling one. So while I agree with what you say, that does not mean I'm above selling a boat based on the buyers perceptions.
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Post by Mark Deeser »

It could be are boats from Northern areas worth a premium. Here in Florida days of direct sun truly take there toll. Where as a Northern boat could spend half it's life under cover INMHO. Thanks
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Fresh water v Salt water boats. In my mind the mechanics will usually be better in the fresh boat. Having said that care is everything regardless of the water.
whwells "Howard"

Return to “General Discussion”