• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Peninsular the beast

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Pete
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Peninsular the beast

Post by Pete »

I'm buying a 1996 28te with the beast, (unknown hrs) although it ran very well,,surveyor found it needed quite a lot of service, 80 hrs worth?
How hard is it to clean and reseal the aftercooler?anyone have one fail?.
Has anyone replaced the stuffing box nut and water line?
My engine was missing the part of the crankcase vent that leaves the engine and ends at the turbo?what is that pipe?
Lots of oil leaks, has anyone re-hosed entire engine?
Cleaning the heat exchanger?
Replacing the fuel fill hose?
Replacing all fuel lines etc, list goes on....
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Penninsular the beast

Post by jcollins »

Pete wrote:I'm buying a 1996 28te with the beast, (unknown hrs) although it ran very well,,surveyor found it needed quite a lot of service, 80 hrs worth?
How hard is it to clean and reseal the aftercooler?anyone have one fail?.
Has anyone replaced the stuffing box nut and water line?
My engine was missing the part of the crankcase vent that leaves the engine and ends at the turbo?what is that pipe?
Lots of oil leaks, has anyone re-hosed entire engine?
Cleaning the heat exchanger?
Replacing the fuel fill hose?
Replacing all fuel lines etc, list goes on....
The manual has recommendations for 1000 hour service and yes there is quite a bit involved. But, 80 hours? My mechanic is 95 per hr. 7600.00? That seems a bit on the high side.
Cleaning the aftercooler is a DIY job that even I could do.
I leave stuffing box work to those that are younger and smaller that I.
Fuel fill hose could be a DIY job I'm thinking.
I'm sure others will jump in here.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Dexter
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Copiague, NY

Post by Dexter »

Hi Pete, I purchased a 31 with twin peninsular engines that were in terrible shape but ran well. I called peninsular diesel and spoke with mitch. I ordered all the hoses through him and they all came pre-cut to the proper length. These engines are real easy to work on. I serviced the after cooler on my engines also. I ordered the gaskets from mitch and he told me how to take it apart, not that difficult. I flushed it with break cleaner and after with clean water then blew it through with air, gently and carefully not to bend the fins inside. the beauty of these engines is they are easy to work on. Also the heat exchanger on the front of the engine is easy to clean also, on the side there is a cap with a center bolt. remove it and you have access the the inner tubs. you can get a gun cleaning tool for bee bee gun that has a small brush on the end and clean all the tubes. you can also run rid lyme through the engine to flush the cooling system out. I had oil leaking all over my engines also. It was coming from the turbo drain host the goes from the base of the turbo to the oil pan, a little of a bitch to replace. Make sure u don't skimp on hose for that, it must be oil safe hose not water hose. If you would have seen my engines you would have thought I was crazy but they ran great. Peninsular is a big help, I learned how to repair everything through them. Give them a call.

The crankcase vent pipe that goes to the turbo can be purchased through peninsular, I would also replace the crank vent valve, forgot the name, it looks like a can that sits on the valve cover. they are inexpensive, as are most of the parts. Be mindful of the orientation, mine was on upside down.

Also get the manual from peninsular, it is helpful.
Dexter
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Copiague, NY

Post by Dexter »

Oh BTW, when i bought my boat the freeze out plug on my starboard engine was rusted out. When i took the boat for a ride, prior to buying it, we refilled the antifreeze, I didn't know there was a big hole at the bottom of the engine. we ran the boat and the temp rose to 200 degrees. I opened the engine room hatch and antifreeze was pouring out of the side of the engine. Needless to say, I replaced the plug after buying the boat and the engine ran great, despite being over heated to over 200 degrees. Who knows how bad the prior owner abused it, the boat was a bank repo. That was 2 years ago. I just installed 2 new peninsular long blocks in my boat. I stuck with peninsular because they took such abuse and kept running. Also the cost of two new long blocks was less than one Cummins engine.
Pete
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pete »

Dexter,Thanks for all the info,very informative, the boat gets delivered to me in about a week I can't wait!
Pete
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pete »

Dexter,Do you mind telling me how much the long blocks cost?Whats a Cummins cost?$30-40k?

Return to “Albin Maintenance”