• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

BG244

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

BG244

Post by Tree »

Anyone else ever used this before?

I recently had a chat with a mechanic who had a 6lp stripped down for rebuild and out of curiosity asked him how coked up these engines get - Quite surprised when he told me that they do get a fair bit of build up in them.

As a result I've done a a bit of digging about and found this product - I guess its origins are from the States but the reviews on it for decoking engines are quite eye opening especially in bigger road car applications.

After having a chat with the sales team over here for the stuff I've taken the plunge and added two cans to 60 UK gallons (one can usually does 60 litres) so it is in a diluted condition. Gave the engine a minor service, oil, filters etc and noticed tonight when we returned that we no longer have the very slight oil slick on tick over while in the marina.

I'm not one for putting in additives unless they are for stopping diesel bug growing, as my opinion is so long as the engine is regularly serviced and everything is running as it should be then leave it alone. But has this stuff made a difference, the engine is certainly quieter with less diesel knock and the slight oil slick (usually has the slightest bit of white smoke with it) has gone?

The manufacturers say to put it in the car every 10000 miles, so they're not saying buy it from us every tank full and the recommendation i had from sales was to do a number of short runs to get the stuff absorbed into the carbon deposits where as most of these snake oil treatments generally say about racing the engine to help clear the injectors.

I don't know if you guys over there run different diesel in your boats as you do cars, but over here the quality of red diesel is between heating oil and duty taxable white diesel and won't normally have the cleaning additives in it that are used on the fuel forecourt.

It'll be interesting to know if anyone has used it and what results if any did you get?

Lee
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: BG244

Post by Tree »

Just had the tech guy in the workshop and it looks like we are going to be doing some further testing - using the dedicated injector cleaners and inlet valve cleaning system.

The results were are having are proving this stuff does work and I am the biggest sceptic when it comes to fuel additives. This might be the answer to reduced injector services in the future?

I've attached a PDF file for anyone that is interested.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”