• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Bluey, 2000 Albin 28TE, Sold

Bluey
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: No Boat, No Port

Bluey, 2000 Albin 28TE, Sold

Post by Bluey »

A sad few weeks, starting when we finally decided that keeping a boat was not in accord with our finances. After being the major weekend activity for us for the past 4 years, and after looking for the best boat for 6 years before that, she's been sold, awaiting only the paperwork. I didn't get what I asked, but it's reasonable. Her new owner appears to be nice and will keep her on the Chesapeake. I've been on albinowners since the purchase, initially expressing frustration in attempting to get into a port side slip, perpendicular to rushing currents. But in those 4 years, even the broker remarked how much better I'd become at driving the boat.

I'm not sure we would've purchased the boat in 2010 if someone had told me it would cost $25k per year in slip fees, monthly and down payments, insurance, winterization, commissioning, parts, nonskid, mechanics labor....With income back down to my 2006 levels, and increasing less than 10% of the *real* inflation rate, and a new mortgage, the sale becomes a financial decision, although with emotional impacts.

Good bye Bluey. We miss you. :cry:
Maurice the Boatless
eseyoung
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Marathon, FL

Re: Bluey, 2000 Albin 28TE, Sold

Post by eseyoung »

WOW, over 2K/month. that is some serious change to keep her. I understand why you sold. if you love boating and being on the water then maybe look for something a little smaller, a trailer boat. Decent gasoline cruisers can be had for less than 20K and storage would be cheaper if you didn't slip it.

even less expensive, a friend of mine went through just about the same thing. He ended up with a nice dink that he runs the crap out of almost every weekend.
I spent the last 4 years on a kayak every weekend...we had many good times and explored many places that would be out of our reach now.

all just thoughts...if you want to be on the water there is always a way. The view from the back of a $15,000 bayliner is the same as what you get off of a million dollar yacht.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: Bluey, 2000 Albin 28TE, Sold

Post by Pitou »

Sorry to see you go, but sure do hope you find a way to get back on the water. There is a certain escape that only boating can provide.

Boating sure can be expensive. I've always heard to plan on 15% of the boats value for average expenses. Sounds like you were getting stung much harder. Some how I've always managed to keep things around 10% to 12% inclusive of ship's mortgage and I'm mostly DIY .. and of course that's after tax dollars. Hell it's cheaper than being into horses!

You live in an area with nice waterways and I hope you find a way to stay wet.

Cheers to your next adventure! :wink:
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”