• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Stove

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

kathylsails
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Stove

Post by kathylsails »

Our Bright Spark butane stove will no longer keep a flame. It does not seem worth repairing. We've looked for replacements on line, and we were surprised that you can get what look like very similar replacements from around $15 to around $100. Do any of you know what the differences are? Any recommendations or advice? Thank you!
"KP Duty" Albin 30 FC
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: Stove

Post by Pitou »

I am only guessing, but I believe that the 28 and your hull have the same galley set-up. I originally had the Glo-Mate canister butane single burner unit which is no longer made. I bought a $15.00 unit off of e-bay. It ended up being a little too tall when stored. It now sits on a shelf in the basement. :roll:
I ended up spending in the neighborhood of $ 60.00 for a Princess unit from Defender. It fit like a glove and worked better than the Albin OEM. Be sure to take careful measurements as it's the height that is difficult for the fit.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

I replaced the Glomate on Fisher Price with one from ebay, it came in its own carry case and 4 cylinders for about £16. I bought that particular one because it was green and would match the boat - when it arrived it was satin black :roll:
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

The GasOne GS-3000 can be found on eBay or Amazon.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Graeme K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Australia

Post by Graeme K »

The BS100 you have has a very important safety device built into it, which cuts the gas flow if the flame goes out or does not ignite instantly at start up. They're made for indoor use - kitchens, caravans, boats etc.
The cheap cookers are for outside use only. I guess if this type caused a fire in the galley, it could be a good copout for insurance companies.
My original Bright Spark fell in a heap recently. Greatlakesskipper have some (new) $70. Cheaper three months ago - this must be your summer price. Shipping cost to Australia puts another $95 on that for me!

Graeme
2005/30FC
Perkins Sabre.
kathylsails
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kathylsails »

Thanks, everyone! My hubby just ordered the stainless GS 3000 Rob recommended because it has a safety device like the one Graeme mentioned and because the measurements and price seemed right. Tree, I am sure that the black stove will go fine with Fisher Price's decor, although finding that color instead of green must have been a not-so-nice surprise! Kevin, we have a whole garage full of things that we've ordered that never fit right, and we'd be happy to send some of them to keep your Glo-mate company! :lol:
"KP Duty" Albin 30 FC
kathylsails
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kathylsails »

Well, I thought more about this and read the GasOne reviews, which say the product is for outdoor use. I ended up ordering the Bright Spark princess BS100 from Greatlakesskipper. It was more expensive than the Gas One, but I will sleep better knowing that it was made for boats!
"KP Duty" Albin 30 FC
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

kathylsails wrote: I ended up ordering the Bright Spark princess BS100 from Greatlakesskipper. It was more expensive than the Gas One, but I will sleep better knowing that it was made for boats!
That is the same unit that I had purchased. It will serve you well. Bon appetit!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Albin Maintenance”