• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Peninsular "Beast" Diesel Engine

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

kochler
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Wilmington, NC

Peninsular "Beast" Diesel Engine

Post by kochler »

I recently joined the Group since I am considering the purchase of a 1998 Albin Express Tournament -- my fist boat.

The Albin I am looking at is equipped with a 400TA - 300 (6.5 Liter) Peninsula engine that has fewer than 300 hours. I love the boat, but several people have told me not to buy it due to the engine. The Hull Truth and some other web sites also offered many negative comments on the engine's reliability, service life, maintenance cost, excessive exhaust, and noise level.

I thought the best way to get some reliable information would be to go to folks who have actually experienced the engine in an Albin boat.

Any guidance you could provide would be appreciated.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Peninsula "Beast" Diesel Engine

Post by jleonard »

My only guidance is that if you decide to get this boat based on opinions here, you should also check around YOUR local area to make sure its supported enough so you can buy parts or get service locally if need be.

Other than that...happy hunting!!
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
John_Madison CT
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ct

Post by John_Madison CT »

Every part for this motor can be purchased from PeninsularDiesel.com

Don't let anyone tell you there are parts issues with these motors. Otherwise, so much info on the "Beast" is heresay, or 2nd/3rd hand.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Search our site for Peninsular.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Joe/Fran
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: North Kingstown RI

Post by Joe/Fran »

I have a 1997 Albin with a Peninsula diesel. This is my fourth season with it and I have had no problems other than the normal maintenance. The boat has 1200 hours with the original engine. I am completely satisfied with this engine. The mechanics that service it said it is as good and reliable as any other. The part I have replaced, the alternator was readily available from Peninsular. The company is very helpful and will give you answers to all your questions. All makes of engines have problems sooner or later and the Peninsular has no more than any other. The parts are reasonably priced. I have talked to other Peninsular owners and never had them say anything bad about the engine. All the rumors are just that and I get tired of hearing them.
maineman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Georgetown Island, Maine

Post by maineman »

Hi!
I have a 1996 28TE with 1100 hours on "The Beast" Peninsular diesel it was born with. If I'm not mistaken, this is basically a GM diesel adapted for marine use by Peninsular. I can't speak for others, but this engine has run flawlessly for me for the past 12 years (bought the boat in 2002). I make sure to change the oil and filters regularly, use high-quality additives for water absorption and algae suppression and vary cruising speed whenever I take the boat out. There have been no parts or system failures so far and my mechanic tells me that the engine is as strong as the day I bought it.
For some reason, there seems to be a lot of negative folklore out there about these engines. I often hear it as a platform for extolling (bragging about) the Yanmar motors and/or trying to beat down the sale price of a boat. There are no perfect diesels - they can ALL have "issues". Take good care of it and it and it should serve you well and faithfully. Happy boating!
PS: I live on the coast of Maine in a harbor with a fleet of 20+ lobster boats. Almost all of them are diesels with over 8000 hours and exactly NONE of them are Yanmars.....
"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Maineman have you had a negative experience with a Yanmar?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

RobS wrote:Maineman have you had a negative experience with a Yanmar?
I suspect they don't use Yanmar's as it isn't really commercially rated - saying that though, one of the Bass fisherman over here replaced his Yanmar recently just for peace of mind with 12,000 hours on it.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
maineman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Georgetown Island, Maine

Re: Peninsular "Beast" Diesel Engine

Post by maineman »

To RobS: I've never owned a Yanmar, so I can' t cite any personal negative experience. Second hand, I have heard mostly positive things about the Yanmar engines - by reputation, they would seem to be a fine and reliable machine. My point was/is that the Peninsular diesels are not uniformly or universally bad. (BTW: "Toy-Rific" looks absolutely beautiful - even the bilge! Some lucky buyer is gonna get a real gem!)

To Tree: Anyone who gets 12000+ hours of reliable service from ANY engine should be pretty happy! I'm assuming the replacement is a Yanmar......
"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!"
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

maineman wrote: To Tree: Anyone who gets 12000+ hours of reliable service from ANY engine should be pretty happy! I'm assuming the replacement is a Yanmar......

It was indeed, he went for the later 315 version and to date has over 2000 hours on it.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Thanks for the compliment on T-R maineman. The only real negative is the cost of the parts compared to some other brands but others fall into this category as well. If properly setup and cared for she is solid.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”