• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Cleaning the propellor

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Cleaning the propellor

Post by Cape Codder »

My Nibral prop had growth from last season. Some white crust on the blades, and a few barnacles on the nuts. After cleaning the barnacles last fall there was a few of the white ring remaining. They popped off with a screwdriver today.
I plan on using Pettit Prop zinc-coat barnacle barrier this season to prevent the growth.
According to directions, you need to getting the prop really clean before application.

I just brushed on some Mary Kate On & Off, after draping some plastic sheeting over the rudder support, let sit for about 10 minutes and rinsed. WOW!
Totally clean!!
Reading the direction for the prop spray, they said for multi-year service, top coat with 2 coats of the new Hydrocoat ECO (copper free) anti-fouling paint.
Fortunately that is what I intend to use for the entire bottom this season. I've already purchased the new Hydrocoat ECO, for both the Albin and the Whaler.
The prop was the only thing having any fouling issues. This should take care of that.
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
John_Madison CT
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ct

Re: Cleaning the propellor

Post by John_Madison CT »

Thanks for the tip. I wire wheeled mine and hand sanded too. Then sprayed on two coats of the Pettit Barnacle Buster. Curious how well it will work after a long season.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”