• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

2 burner Cookmate non-pressure Alcohol stove, will it fit?

Albin's "power cruisers"
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

2 burner Cookmate non-pressure Alcohol stove, will it fit?

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Ok, here's my galley counter, pretty much stock
Albin galley.jpg
The previous owner, Bless his heart, of my recently aquirred and soon-to-be renamed A25 installed a regular Coleman propane camp stove in the recessed space under the counter in the galley, which is covered by a piece of veneer wood when not in use, pretty much the way Albin intended. It's plumbed to a small LP tank, a 5 lb verticle one, located in the recess next to the helm station on the starboard side of the wheelhouse, with the gas line run in the bilge across to the port side of the cabin. Problem is, the tank is not in a kosher fuel locker, just sitting there in the open, and has no solenoid shutoffs. Does have a sniffer installed down low in the cabin, but still I'm not particularly comfortable with it, besides not being to code and definately not marine grade. My previous boat before this one was a Catalina 25 sailboat, and we used an Origo 3000 alcohol stove in it and were very happy with it.

Cookmate makes a similar one, and the recessed drop in version looks like this, with pot holders available as an add on option
cookmate.jpg
The dimensions of the existing opening in the countertop are 21" L X 12.5" W X 6" deep. The cutout specs for the stove are 20.5 L X 12 3/16" W. Overall dimensions of the stove including overhang are 22 7/8" L X 14 3/16" W X 5 7/8" Deep

That sounds like it should be a perfect fit. The only question is if there's enough clearance between the cutout and the front "fiddle" of the counter for this to work without doing surgery. I'll have to go back to the boat and check that measurement.

Has anyone out there ever installed this type of stove on their boat?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gananoque ON

Re: 2 burner Cookmate non-pressure Alcohol stove, will it fi

Post by Sunsetrider »

Yep, fits just great. The knobs are on top though, not peeking through the opening on the face of the cabinet. Works like a champ.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Stove update: Measurements show a Cookmate or Origo 2 burner will fit. But it looks like lip of the flush mount version would interfere with the cover lid that goes over a storage bin at the aft end of the galley cabinet where we keep silverware. In the photo above that bin is located under the small wooden box under the dish towel rack. Have a friend in our local sailing club who has a used Origo 3000 portable model for sale that should work & the control knobs should be accessable through the front opening.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Stove update #2: Picked up the used Origo 3000 stove from my sailing club buddy for $160, like new condition. Complete except for gimbal kit and pot holders. Don't need/can't use gimbals anyway, just need to order pot holders. Am very excited to get to work tomorrow & rip out the PO installed non-marine grade/not to code Coleman camp stove propane installation and drop in the Origo. I highly recommend these stoves. They are NOT the scary "curtain burner" type pressurized alchohol stoves and have only 2 moving parts, that is one damper for each burner. Just fill the canisters with denatured ethanol, available at any hardware store, Home Depot, or Lowes. Completely portable/removable with no plumbing needed. All stainless steel construction, and like Albin is made in Sweden.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”