• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Maintenance on Yanmar 300

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Rx-scape
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bodega Bay, CA

Maintenance on Yanmar 300

Post by Rx-scape »

I got my 2002 Albin 28TE with 300 Yanmar in for maintenance, it needed a timing belt change and valve adjustment and had started smoking a lot more than normal which I thought was valves needing adjustment. It now has 1800 hours last valve check was 1500 hours and I was told the valves did not need any change at that time. The valves still needed little adjustment just checked and the timing belt was changed in less than an hour. They were able to remove and replace the belt working in the cramped space easily. The smoking was from over-fueling as the Turbo was severely damaged no large pieces of the blades were found or what went through the Turbo in the intercooler. I think it could have been a small piece of zinc as I had changed zincs and the zinc on the back of the oil cooler had broken in many littlepieces I removed them with forceps and could have dropped a piece on or around the air cleaner. It was a week or so after that we were running and thought we might have hit a crab pot bouy or driftwood as there was a loud bang, almost like a backfire a quick check of the boat showed nothing but after that the smoking started. With the new Turbo also replaced the exhaust riser and elbow as it was over 10 years old.
IN replacing the raw water pump the nut had came off and the gear had been rubbing on the timing cover with the washer rubbing on the shaft and the nut loose. It was still working well and no real damage to the timing cover. Last year the impeller was inspected and I think the mechanic took the water pump off to look at it did not change the impeller it still looks like new.
The fuel cooler was rotted, the copper coils were pink and one mechanic said they should be changed every 5 years, one said it was because the zinc had not been changed, another said the zincs do not protect the copper enough and it should be watched and changed when it shows degradation.
I have not read about needing to change the fuel cooler as a maintenance item but it is bad if the water gets into the fuel with a failure offshore. I had not changed the zinc as it is tight to the engine box and covered with the soundproofing.

Lee Tucker
Rx-scape
Albin 28TE 300 Yanmar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Re: Maintenance on Yanmar 300

Post by Carl »

Reading this and looking at the pictures makes me think your spring launch will be an exciting one. One would think you would notice a substantial difference in how she runs and performs. Thanks for sharing. Just had my raw water pump rebuilt, the seals had just started leaking and was flinging salt water on the side of the motor. Just a little rust, think I caught it before it got bad. Going to do the timing belt and exhaust elbow this June after a little spring fishing. Thanks again for the pics and posting.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Rx-scape
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rx-scape »

I use my boat year around, had been crabbing last few months and the ocean has been so rough that it was impossible to open it up so did not really notice the lack of power. I did know it was smoking too much and not right. I did a turbo wash which did not help much, should have looked further then. I always check the raw water pump when running, It was not leaking while running but when stopped would drip some, the mechanical seal was leaking. My mechanics would not rebuild the pump, well the shaft was damaged, that alone is $200. each of the seals and washers run $20 each, add labor a new pump is cheaper.
Has anyone needed to replace the fuel cooler?
I had not heard of that as a issue but at $480 not a cheap part. It is easy to replace but do not want to wait until it fails. I will be checking it from now on.

Lee
captmike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: San Francisco, CA

Post by captmike »

Thanks for sharing. I have 2001 28 TE with 760 hrs on yanmar 300. Timing belt original so I was thinking to have it changed but local diesel mechanic said it would be too tight. He was indicating that need to pull engine or cut into the deck to get enough access to change the belt. Sounds like you could get enough access to change the timing belt alright, any pics?
Mike Sitts
"Erinn Gale"
Albin 28 TE 2001
halfmoon
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: EDENTON, NC

Post by halfmoon »

My mechanic released the lift pistons so the engine cover could tilt aft completely. Removal of the belt cover was difficult because of the most dependent fastener. At his suggestion and with my approval we did not replace that "difficult" fastener. This will facilitate future maintenance. Change can be done without altering the boat. Mine is 2000 28TE with Yanmar 300.
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

My timing belt was changed in my 2001 28TE (300HP Yanmar) last June. Mechanic did not indicate he had any unusual difficulty.
Just so you know.
Rx-scape
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rx-scape »

I did not get pictures of the timing belt change, they did remove the engine box cover, it gives better access and saves time. The work was done by List Marine in Sausalito. I see Captmike you are in SF. List is Yanmar mechanic and does lots of work on Albins.
captmike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: San Francisco, CA

Post by captmike »

Thanks very much. Appreciate the responses. Just had routine engine maintenance with oil change, oil and fuel filters, zinks. 781 hrs on 2001 6LP STE. Still have original timing belt. So far so good. Really liking this engine and great fuel economy. Using engine mechanic Bills Marine in SF Bay. that previous owner used. I will check with List Marine on the timing belt change. Much appreciated.
Mike Sitts
"Erinn Gale"
Albin 28 TE 2001

Return to “Albin Maintenance”