• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

bottom gear paint

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

saltshaker28
Gold Member
Gold Member

bottom gear paint

Post by saltshaker28 »

I have been using ablative paint on my running gear it wears off than the barnecicals take over does anyone use somthing that works other than propspeed
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: bottom gear paint

Post by Cape Codder »

Pettit paints makes a full line of products for your metal running gear.
First, use a "copper-free" ablative anti fouling paint. Pettit Vivid, or their new Hydrocoat ECO (water-based and easy to use, goes over almost anything)
When a copper paint is used over metals in salt water, electrolysis (even if it's very minor) prevents the copper from leaching. When this happens, the anti-fouling is rendered ineffective = barnacles.

To make even more effective, a coat or two of Tie Coat primer (rubber paint)under the Vivid or Hydrocoat really eliminates the electrolysis. After 5 months in shallow warm water, our Albin is 100% barnacle free.
I have been using the Tie Coat primer, and then Vivid, but just switched to the new Hydrocoat ECO. Be sure to include your bow thruster too.
So, after the Tie Coat primer on metals, everything is over coated with Hydrocoat ECO.
I have been using the original Hydrocoat for years on our Whaler. It's terrific, and the new ECO will be dynamite!
Before, when I was using copper paint I had a bumper-crop of huge barnacles. What a mess and fuel waster.

For your prop, use Pettit spray paint that is zinc based. "Prop Coat Barnacle barrier", formerly known as Zinc Coat Barnacle Barrier. Prop stays clean.

http://www.pettitpaint.com/#4
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
saltshaker28
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: bottom gear paint

Post by saltshaker28 »

Thanks for the info very interesting I use Pettit sr 40 now but the tie coat primer sounds like a winner to me I will give them a try

Return to “Albin Maintenance”