• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Shaft question for 27 fc

Albin's "power cruisers"
Vic K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Houston

Shaft question for 27 fc

Post by Vic K »

Does anyone else have a harmonic balancer on the shaft like pictured? Are they any good? I'm replacing the shaft on my boat and am trying to get info.I can't see a pillar block for the shaft.....is there one? I have the 4D61 engine. Has anyone used a flex coupler of any kind?

Vic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
eseyoung
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Marathon, FL

Re: Shaft question for 27 fc

Post by eseyoung »

Wow vic, that is a lot of questions. :lol:

I have an LD28 in mine and i do NOT have the balancer. I do have a pillar block it is on the last bulk head on the aft side. it is a real PIA to get to. basically to even see it you need to fold your legs up, lay on your belly on the floor of the aft cabin. Once there you will find one very lonely, under-serviced Zerk fitting.

I can't speak to the flex coupler but i hear they are great. That said, our shaft are relatively short (the boat's...that is. stop laughing and try to stay with me) :P . once aligned i don't think they are as prone to needing realignment. but perhaps i am missing something on that so if someone has better first hand knowledge i am listening.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

eseyoung wrote:Wow vic, that is a lot of questions. :lol:

I have an LD28 in mine and i do NOT have the balancer. I do have a pillar block it is on the last bulk head on the aft side. it is a real PIA to get to. basically to even see it you need to fold your legs up, lay on your belly on the floor of the aft cabin. Once there you will find one very lonely, under-serviced Zerk fitting.
I don't want to steal the thread, but if you want a solution for keeping that pillow block bearing greased send me an e mail. I had one on my "ex" Mainship 34 and it's an easy solution. leonaj99 at yahoo dot com
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Vic K
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Vic K »

I did find out from Joe Meyers that heavy hunk of metal is not a harmonic balancer but a real old fashion flex coupler. It has rubber bushings inside that are more than likely no longer operating. Getting this loose from the transmission was a real big PITA. The shaft came out via 'sawsall' once I discovered electroylsis. Also the 27fc doesn't have or require a pillar block ( thank goodness). I am going back with new motor mounts, new shaft and shaft saver as well as a new cutlass. I have it on the hard so why wait.
eseyoung
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Marathon, FL

Post by eseyoung »

If you don't mind me asking where did you source your shaft from?
Vic K
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Vic K »

So far I've spoken to Joe Demers of Sound Marine Diesel in Conn. He was a great source for information. I've ordered a shaft hub from him to make sure it fits the transmission flange...then I'll move forward.

Vic

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”