• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New Member with Albin 30FC

johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

New Member with Albin 30FC

Post by johnmurray »

Hello All:
I am a new member, having just discovered this forum. I purchased a new Albin 30FC last year (Hull #15) and I think it is the only one in Canada.
So far I have put about 200 hours on its Yanmar 315 engine and have transited the boat up to Ottawa from Lake Champlain and have cruised extensively on the Ottawa River, the Rideau Waterway, and the 1000 Islands area.
I have had only a very few minor glitches with my boat, but I look forward to exchanging info with other A30FC owners as well as those who operate the very similar A28s.
Cheers...John Murray
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Hi John!
Welcome to the board. That little aft cabin is interesting. It's been brought over from the old trawler/sail days? How much room is in there? I have never been on one. Post some pictures if you have time.

Thanks for joining!
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Welcome John.
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Albin 30 Family Cruiser (Aft cabin Version of Albin 28TE)

Post by johnmurray »

To answer a couple of questions that have been posted:
The Albin 30FC is a "streched version" of the flush deck Albin 28.
It is identical to the Albin 28, except that it is two feet longer and part of the large cockpit has given way to accommodate the aft cabin. It is a resurrection of the concept of the very popular Albin 27 aft cabin (discontinued around 1990), but with the much more powerful engines, planing speeds and other amenities of the Albin 28.
The aft cabin is not large, but it is quite adequate for two people. There are two fore and aft single bunks that can be converted into a one large double bunk. It offers privacy from the main cabin for guests. I don't think there is anything else on the market in this size range that offers a second cabin. (The aft cabin in the Albin 30FC is quite a bit larger than the aft cabin ib the Albin 27.)
The first ones were built in 2004 and mine is hull #15. I think they are up to about fifty by now. Mine is eqipped with the Yanmar 315 engine and the factory supplied air conditioning that runs into the aft cabin as well.
They are priced about the same as the A28. There are lots of detailed pictures on the Albin company website as well as in the ads on Yachtworld.
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

John, how is the performance on the 30? I was wondering if you picked up any speed due to the increased water line, or if it slowed you down, due to the increased drag? I cruise at 18 knots and WOT I'm running about 24 knots with a new bottom and smooth seas. Mine is a 1999 28 TE with a 6lp300STE. I keep the boat as light as possible and work on keeping the bottom and running gear clean.
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Albin 30FC Performance as Compared with Albin 28TE

Post by johnmurray »

My selling dealer suggested that the A30FC will go slightly faster than the A28TE if all other factors are held constant. (He has sold many 28s, but mine has been the only 30 so far.)
My boat (with the Yanmar 315 Turbo) maxed out at 24.7 knots on the delivery trial in a light chop. Since then I have had no trouble reaching maximum speeds close to that mark in flat water.
There does not seem to be much degredation of performance since delivery. As I am a fresh water boater (in the cold pristine waters of the Ottawa River) there appears to be virtually no build-up on the hull. My bottom coat is Petit Trinidad SR and the bottom was clean when the boat was hauled last October.
As a matter of interest, I was in a fairly heavy chop in Lake Ontario earlier this month and I found I got bounced around quite a bit in the 10 to 12 knot speed range. When I cranked it up to 18 knots the ride smoothed out a great deal. The boat appears to be very sensitive to the trim tabs and performance improves greatly when I have the trim tabs optimized.
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

Thanks for the reply, I too found out that in reallty bad chop in the Chesapeake the boat performed better at around 15 to 16 knots, rather than 10 or 12, which was very bouncy. As far as growth, I can't imagine any worse place there in the bay when the barnicals and algie get to rocking ( April/May/earlyJune). I switched to Micron 66 which works great on the hull. It's a self-polishing paint, or at least listed that way as opposed to Micro Extra which is an ablative paint...seems to me that would be about the same....but the 66 does appear to be a harder finish. Thanks again for the reply...safe boating...
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

The A-27 was and still is a very popular boat. When I told friends I was buying an Albin the first question was...

"You mean one of those little trawlers with the separate cabin?"

I added a few more pictures to the Albin 30 FC post.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Bob Smith
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Kilmarnock, VA & North Palm Bch, FL

Re: New Member with Albin 30FC

Post by Bob Smith »

Hi John,

I own AL30 FC hull number 28 and love it.

I am very familiar with the boat, in fact I watched mine being built and commissioned the hull #1 of this model for the factory.

Unfortunatley, due to health reasons, we have only put only 200+ hours on her since 2007 when she was built. For that reason we have just put her on the market. Oh yes, another reason is that we have a second Albin, a AL28 TE docked up in Virginia for summer us. The 30 is in Florida and was our Florida boat.

If you have questions about the boat please don't hesitate to drop me a note.

Bob Smith
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Welcome John: Sounds like a great boat. There are others who have expressed and interests in the aft. cabin series. Wondering if there is room to get around the aft cabin for fishing? If not one should be able to fish from the sides.
whwells "Howard"
2006 35te Sportfisher Conv.
2004 Osprey Pilothouse 22
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johnmurray »

You can make your way around (or over) the aft cabin to the stern and the swim platform but it is not easy in the best of times and even more difficicult if your A-30FC is fitted with an enclosure as mine is. (Don't try it in any kind of a chop.) Certainly you could fish from the sides of the cockpit. I think the A-28 is aimed more for the fishermen and the A-30FC is for those who value the aft cabin for cruising.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

HI John: The extra room of the aft cabin is worth it. If you have guests or children it is a fine way to have some privacy and extra room.. Came across a picture of your series after the posting. Fine looking boat. As to fishing you can still get it done down the sides. If the fish goes under the boat and you can't otherwise walk it around you just pray the line holds. Have a friend with a 25' Classic with the aft cabin. He gets all done and has the extra as well.
whwells "Howard"
kathylsails
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Post by kathylsails »

Bob, We are sorry to hear that you are selling your 30FC, although we are happy for whoever buys her! We LOVE our 30FC and definitely appreciate having the aft cabin. We don't understand why Albin didn't make more of that model, although I guess the people who fish outnumber those of us who don't. Wow, John, after reading this post, we realize that you have had Katie G for 9 years!
"KP Duty" Albin 30 FC

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”