• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Gel coat or awl grip

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Gel coat or awl grip

Post by Serenity »

My 98 28TE has a green hull. I recently had her media blasted to remove years of bottom paint. The interesting thing is that Serenity has a white "boot" stripe just above the water line. It is not a decal and there appears to be no edge like it might have been painted on. Is it possible that the entire hull was originally white and the green is awl grip done at the factory?
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: Gel coat or awl grip

Post by Pitou »

Most likely all gel coat. After blasting, the bottom I assume, was it green or white? If white, the hull was originally white gel coat. Does your green hull oxidize? If so, your hull is gel coat.

My 28 originally had a red gel coat boot and blue gel coat hull. Smooth transition from one to the other. I had the boot sprayed oyster using gel coat after purchase to match the topside and that left a raised transition just like painting it. My current boat was originally green gel with a white gel boot. Since she was painted Awl-grip Jade with a white boot / smooth transition from onne to the other. I'm now very happy to be putting down the buffing wheel and just washing with Awl Wash and hand polishing with Awl Care!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Ours is green with a white boot stripe - as Kevin has said if the hull was green when it was soda blasted then its green.

We do things a little bit different over here, most boats are clear gelcoat below the water line - it massively reduces osmosis happening.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

Thanks guys. I guess the hull is all green gel coat. The white boot strap threw me off. The oxidation is the issue with the green hull. A good hearty compounding hopefully will work.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

Serenity wrote:Thanks guys. I guess the hull is all green gel coat. The white boot strap threw me off. The oxidation is the issue with the green hull. A good hearty compounding hopefully will work.

Ours was pretty bad when it arrived - we compounded it then I waxed with 2 coats of Meguiers Yellow Tech wax, 5 months later and all I have had to do is a a good wash then 2 coats of wax again. Lots of people have commented on the depth of colour and it is all down to the wax
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Binford
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Port Orchard, WA

Post by Binford »

Here's my approach...

For stain removal from gelcoat, I use a product called "On and Off."

If there is oxidation, I use a quality buffer with a good wool pad and go over it all with 3M Imperial Compound and Finishing Material to remove the oxidation and take it down to good gelcoat. You can find it here: http://www.amazon.com/3M-06044-Imperial ... g+Material

Next, I apply Star brite Premium Marine Polish Boat Wax with PTEF (basically a teflon coating for the gelcoat). http://www.amazon.com/Star-brite-Premiu ... +with+PTEF

Finally, I apply a couple coats of a good wax. What I use is Meguiar's Flagship Premium Marine Wax. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007T ... UTF8&psc=1

Continued.....
-- Tim Taylor
1980 Glasply 19-1/2' cuddy hardtop w/Mercruiser 470 I/O
1982 Glasply 16' runabout w/ 2-stroke 50hp Mercury O/B
Quiet admirer, and possible future owner, of an Albin 27FC
Binford
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Binford »

(The forum only allows three URLs to be posted at a time, thus the need to break this out....)

Having the gelcoat buffed and polished and with the wax as a protective layer, the gelcoat doesn't oxidize and stains wash off MUCH easier. Re-wax at least once a year, but better to do it twice a year.

I got all this info from a fantastic book on boat detailing: The Insider's Guide to Boat Cleaning and Detailing: Professional Secrets to Make Your Sail-or Powerboat Beautiful, such as can be found here: http://www.amazon.com/Insiders-Guide-Cl ... 385&sr=8-1

Gelcoat is a PITA, but if you do the work once and keep up on the waxing, it's not too bad.
-- Tim Taylor
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Tim Taylor: Lots of good product information and application procedure. When can I delivery my boat to you for the job? Kidding, but it does look to be a lot of work.
If you have the stuff with you at the summer Rendevous I would like to take a look at the various products.

whwells "Howard"
Binford
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Binford »

I have thought of doing some of that, Howard, at least on the side. Problem is, even with my little 19-footer, my arms turn to noodles after about 10 minutes of buffing! I keep forgetting that I'm not in my 20s any more....

If I make it to the Rendezvous this summer, I'd be happy to grab my box o' cleaning supplies to bring along. (Hope you guys would be okay with a Glasply showing up!)

BTW, that "On and Off" stuff is truly nothing short of amazing! Though its funny that no one seems to believe me! The manager at Tacoma Marine told me about the stuff and it really does work amazingly well. If you're curious about it, here's a link to a thread on our Glasply forum where I suggested it to a fellow member and his reaction later (once he quit blowing me off and actually tried it) is pretty funny....

http://www.glasply.org/vb4/showthread.p ... estoration

I first mention the stuff in post #18. I show before and after pics of my boat in post #21, and in post #26, the guy finally tries it and is stunned by how well it works. You just brush it on the gelcoat (with a paint brush that you won't want to ever use again), then literally a minute later rinse off with a hose and it's clean and stain-free!
-- Tim Taylor
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Warwick, RI

Post by mike66 »

Diluting muriatic acid 50/50 will do the same thing at 1/3 the cost.
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
SUSAN HELENA 1985 40' Trawler
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Tim: If you make it to the Rendezvous this summer? We are counting on you to be there and looking forward to seeing you. So, please put the dates on your calendar.
whwells "Howard"
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

Tim how about a case of PBR's in their original container and I will observe your technique. I also have a case of Rheingold if you prefer. I think by now it will taste like a fine win :D
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
Binford
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Binford »

mike66 wrote:Diluting muriatic acid 50/50 will do the same thing at 1/3 the cost.
That's probably all that stuff is! (Only it's not very dilute--even outdoors one has to be very careful breathing the fumes off that stuff.)

whwells wrote:Tim: If you make it to the Rendezvous this summer? We are counting on you to be there and looking forward to seeing you. So, please put the dates on your calendar.
whwells "Howard"
Just this morning, in fact, my wife and I were discussing our family plans for the summer. I'm not quite ready to make it official yet, but definitely leaning that direction!

Serenity wrote:Tim how about a case of PBR's in their original container and I will observe your technique. I also have a case of Rheingold if you prefer. I think by now it will taste like a fine win :D
You throwing in the airfare as well?! FYI, I'm more an India Pale Ale guy myself. The more bitter and hoppy the better. :wink:
-- Tim Taylor
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

The Panama Canal is offering senior and AOG discounts. The fuel costs maybe an issue though.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE

Return to “Albin Maintenance”