• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Another new member

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
twomey
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portland, ME

Another new member

Post by twomey »

Hi,

I'm another new member of this group. First I would like to say I've used a lot of these kinds of forums over the years, and this one is top rate. Lots of great, on the subject information.

I currently own a Grady-White 208. Great boat, but just too small for anything more than a couple of overnights. My wife and I have been looking at Albin 28s for the last couple of years. Since last fall we have been more serious and are now at a point where we have narrowed it down to two candidates, a 95 and a 98. I've looked one over and am scheduled to see the other this Friday. I'm really excited about getting an Albin, but I have this nagging fear about all the unknowns. We felt the same way when we got the Grady, but after 7 years, I feel like the Grady is an old friend. The Albin a much more complex boat, and it has a diesel which is new to us. I was so happy to find this group where I have found the answers to many of my questions. Thanks to all.

By the way, one of the boats I'm looking at is being sold by a broker. When I asked about the owners reasons for selling and the history of the boat, he said the current owner has only had the boat two years, and is selling it because he isn't using it much and is downsizing to an 18' center console. He says before the current owner, the boat was located in southern New England. I really wish I knew a little more about the history of the boat. Its name now is 'Yankee Girl', but the pictures show it with the name 'Gallatin'. It is a 1995 Albin 28TE with a black hull and white pilothouse. Have any of you met this boat in your travels?

Again, thanks for the great forum. Hope to meet some of you in the future.

Tim
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

I'll be the first to welcome you to the group.

25 years ago we followed a similar route. We started with a 21' cuddy cabin. In 86 we got our first Albin, a brand new A27AC. That boat lived with us for 13 years & watched 2 small children grow into teens. From there we went to our second Albin, a used 32. This is most likely going to be our last boat.

The mysterys of the diesel are long gone as are the unknowns of the systems of a larger boat.

Good luck with your choice. Get a survey. :wink:
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Tim,
Welcome to the board. I was just like you. Concerned about diesels. Only because I never had one and just didn't know much about them. I'm still learning as this is our second season. The Albin is a great boat and diesel engines are great. A little louder than my Volvo gas but I can feel the torque and so far have been happy with reliability. I have the Peninsular which has a bad reputation. But, as you will find by reading posts here, that is more of a myth than anything else. Any brand will last if you take care of it.
I have seen Yankee Girl somewhere. I'll look around. It may have been on this board or one of the for sale sites.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Vessel Name: YANKEE GIRL USCG Doc. No.: 1043463
Vessel Service: RECREATIONAL IMO Number: *
Trade Indicator: Recreational Call Sign: *
Hull Material: FRP (FIBERGLASS) Hull Number: AUL28231F595
Ship Builder: ALBIN MANUFACTURING INC Year Built: 1995

Length (ft.): 28.3
Hailing Port: SOUTHPORT ME Hull Depth (ft.): 5.7
Owner: ROBERTA L WALLINGFORD
2 SUNSET ROAD PO BOX 414
SOUTHPORT, ME 04576 Hull Breadth (ft.): 9.7
Gross Tonnage: 10
Net Tonnage: 8
Documentation Issuance Date: February 10, 2006 Documentation Expiration Date: March 31, 2007

Previous Vessel Names: GALLATIN
Previous Vessel Owners: CHRISTOPHER FLOWER
John
twomey
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by twomey »

Veebyes2,
Sounds like we're on the same track. We're also planning to get one more boat after the 28, something in the 30-40' range that will be our last boat. At least that's what we're saying now :)

John,
Both of the boats I'm looking at have the Peninsular diesel. I was a little concerned at first, but after reading the threads here, I feel comfortable with the Peninsular (assuming that it has been well maintained). I just remember how much I learned about gas outboards during the Grady years, and I know I have a new learning curve coming up :)

Thanks for the documentation info. Funny, I knew the other boat we're looking at was documented and looked up the info. The interesting thing with that boat is that it is documented as a 1997, but being sold as a 1998. Not a big deal, although my insurance company ups the rate when a boat becomes 10 years old. I never thought that the 1995 was also documented. So now I have the previous owner's name. Do you think I should try to contact them or just start with a good survey and see how things go?

Thanks for the info,
Tim
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

<<<<Do you think I should try to contact them or just start with a good survey and see how things go?>>>>

Some people get upset when they learn how personal information is so easily found. I wouldn't unless the survey turned up something questionable. But, that's just me.
John
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Hi Tim, welcome to the board!

If I recall the HIN (Hull Identification Number) section of my Connecticut boating class correctly I believe that, just like cars, a 1998 Model Year boat could have been Manufactured in 1997. So if the USCG documentation is for Year Manufactured it could differ from the year you're being told is the model.

And, to add to John's comment, the survey is how you'll determine what kind of shape the boat is in. Anything that a prior owner would know that you should be concerned about (meaning MAJOR problems) will be found by a competent surveyor. Along with anything that's happened to it recently.

Let me also add, as someone who moved up from a 21' walkaround (Aquasport 215) to an Albin, that you will be SO MUCH happier on the Albin! It is more complex, but not too much that a boater with 7 years experience can't handle it. The Albin is just so much more boat. I know mine happily eats up weather in Long Island Sound that would beat the pi$$ out of me in the 21! It can be interesting around a dock the first few times, you really miss that directional thrust of an outboard, but if you go slow and accept that you won't be perfect you'll do just fine.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
wonderland

Galliatin Yarmouth, Me

Post by wonderland »

FYI. I purchased my boat through ECYS and could not be more disapointed with the experience. If you would like to talk about it call me. My cell is 207 415 0986. I am curious about the other boat.
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Tuxedo »

Re: Model Year

Manufacturers can start a new model year whenever they want to, same as for cars. Albin starts theirs in August.

If you look at the hull number, the last 4 digits will be something like J798, meaning the hull was laid in October 1997, and is a 1998 model. (A=January, B=Feb, etc.)
Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus
twomey
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by twomey »

Regarding the comments about the year differences I agree. Actually, my Grady came with the original engine and was listed as a 1994, but when I went to get parts, I gave them the serial number and they said the engine was actually built in 1993. No big deal. What I really care about is how well the previous owner(s) maintained the boat. My 1994 Grady looks and runs better than many boats that are only a few years old, and I'm convinced it is because of good maintenence. I think I'll get the best surveyor I can find, and a diesel mechanic, and let them check it out. Hopefully, they will catch anything major. Thanks for all the advice. I'm really excited about getting the Albin. I'm already planning improvements and I haven't even decided on the boat yet :)

Tim
bluechip7676
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: West Falmouth, Cape Cod, MA

re your new used boat

Post by bluechip7676 »

Yes..be sure to get a good survey early..but be more attentive to what engine you are getting than I was..I learned not to assume my boat manufacturer was making a good choice..but the boat is great and very forgiving..
I love my 1998 Albin28..but I hate the Peninsula in it
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

As I'm sure others have already pointed out, there is no reason to fear or be wary of a boat with a diesel engine. Once they have one for a couple years, most owners come to the realization that diesels are actually much more reliable, efficient, and easy to maintain. Those who are familiar with working on gas engines, will generally find diesels to be even easier.

I personally think that diesel engines are prefereble for any boat over about 25'.

Return to “New Member Introductions”