• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Thinking about a 31' TE

jsakovits
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Portsmouth, NH

Thinking about a 31' TE

Post by jsakovits »

Thinking about purchasing a 31' hardtop TE with a single Cummins diesel. Boat is a year 2000. Any feedback on this model and things to look out for during a survey?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
irishwake
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pensacola, Florida

Re: Thinking about a 31' TE

Post by irishwake »

Great Boat! Lots of room, very sea worthy, and economical.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

jsakovits wrote:Thinking about purchasing a 31' hardtop TE with a single Cummins diesel. Boat is a year 2000. Any feedback on this model and things to look out for during a survey?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Good luck with the survey. I'm guessing you already have an offer in.

I cannot think of anything specific I've heard with a 31 of that vintage. You'd want to do all of the standard survey checks. I don't recall if the 2000 31TE is balsa or form cored (either is fine!) but checking for the proper installation of thru hulls is always an area to be aware of. You also might want to sign up at BoatDiesel.com and check for particulars on the engine.

Let us know how it goes!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jsakovits
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Portsmouth, NH

Post by jsakovits »

Many thanks for the feedback. Do not have an offer in yet but just doing my homework first.
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

Post by amber jj »

We purchased our 2000 31 te a couple years ago.The mechanic who done the engine survey noticed a slight vibration on the starboard engine,but not serious.Engine oil analyst came up satisfactory.Anyway knowing there was a vibration which I could only feel at idle bugged me enough that this fall when the boat was hauled we had the props checked for balance which turned out fine and then looked a little deeper.We found the cutlass bearings were worn to where they were a little oblong but no slop.Well I bit the bullet and had both shafts removed and and 4 new cutlass's installed.While the shafts were out we sent them to the machine shop to check for true straightness.Low and behold the starboard shaft was out 15 thou.We were able to straighten the shaft.I would not have thought that little would make a difference,but according to my mechanic it would have most likely have been the problem.Launching this spring will tell the tale.
What I was getting at the engine survey let me know before hand what I could be getting into which was negotiated in the selling price.
Other than that our 31 is a dream.You will be a very proud and satisfied owner if you carry on with your purchase. Bob&Val 2000 31 TE with twin 370 Cummins
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Seems like a good vintage, I find my year 2000 28TE to show a higher build quality in many areas than a newer boat. A Cummins is always good too. With that being said, do you have good water where you do your boating? Yes they have protected running gear but they do have a deep draft.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Rtroy
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Bellingham, Washington

Post by Rtroy »

have you purchased or made an offer yet. If not I would be interested in knowing more, currently looking for 31 TE express with single Cummins.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

The 31' Albin is a great boat. I know several people with the model and did try out one with the twin Yanmar's 315. If you are runnning in an area of debris the single may be the best choice. The costs to operate and maintain is better with the single.
As all have said so far you will be happy with the 31. The Cummins would be my choice as well in a single.
whwells "Howard"
2006 35te Sportfisher/Flybridge
2004 Osprey Pilothouse 22

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”