• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

OH NOOOOO!!!!

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

flyboyjack
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Punta Gorda, FL

OH NOOOOO!!!!

Post by flyboyjack »

Well we finally got our new purchase home ported behind our house here in SW Florida. My first order of business was to remove two stainless deck plates and stanchions from our dock so we wouldn't stumble over them. Normally the gunwales are 18" or more above the dock, but the winds had been blowing long and hard and blew the water out of the harbor putting the gunwales about 6" below the deck. After cutting off the bolts and cleaning up any debris, etc., I went inside for the night. This afternoon I went out to board the boat to complete more work and discovered literally thousands of orange spots all over the gelcoat! I thought I'd just wash them off, but NOOOOO! Turns out that all my cutting left thousands of almost impossible to see steel slivers/debris on the gunwales and the salt air literally dissolved them and turned them into orange ferrous stains that are next to impossible to remove. Well, at least we marked her as ours, but I am quite the unhappy camper. Who woulda thought?

Any ideas??

flyboyjack :oops:
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: OH NOOOOO!!!!

Post by jleonard »

Go to the "Dollar store" and get "The Works" tub and shower cleaner (they also make a toilet bowl cleaner, don't use that). It will remove the stains. It contains oxalic acid.
Wipe on with a cloth or sponge, let sit a few minutes, rinse off.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
seasalt
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SW Florida

Post by seasalt »

Whink will work too. It is a liquid. I keep a bottle on the boat. When you apply it you can see the rust stain go away. Then hose it off.
Ron
Hi Spirits (sold)
35 TE SF
Punta Gorda, FL
flyboyjack
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Punta Gorda, FL

Post by flyboyjack »

Yesssss!!!

Thanks guys for the help. I'm on my way!

flyboyjack
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

Naval jelly will get out the rust stains
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Post by tbnolin »

Another good one is Goof Off Rust Stain Remover. I had excellent results using it. Good Luck!
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC

Return to “Albin Maintenance”