• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Looking

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
Slowandsteady
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: North Kingstown, RI

Looking

Post by Slowandsteady »

Hello Everyone,
I just joined the forum because I am looking for a Trawler to get back on the water with. Youngest is graduating soon and maybe I'll have some "disposable" income to throw into the water. Someone on the Trawler Forum told me to come here because I may be interested in a late 80's 34' Albin Trawler. I've seen them on YW and they seem like there is a lot of boat for the money. Albins have always been on my short list but I would like to check out the 34 in particular. I would be cruising Narragansett Bay, Block Island, Long Island and the Cape and Islands. If anyone knows of someone that has a 34 for sale, please let me know.
Thanks
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Looking

Post by RobS »

Welcome aboard. I agree there does appear to be some quality and quantity of boat there for your money in the Albin trawlers.

You named quite a few of my regular cruising spots. I purchased TOY-RIFIC in 2007 from your neck of the woods, she was on a mooring at the Pleasant Street Wharf. I took a cruise up memory lane this summer - after a stay in Newport we stopped into Wickford for a night for a visit with friends at the Wickford Shipyard. Your area in the summer is a boater's heaven. And eastern LI ain't too shabby either...
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Marcy K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cape Cod MA

Post by Marcy K »

Hello Slow and steady,

We have owned an A 34 since Sept 2009 - we LOVE her and cruise all the places you mention living aboard 4 - 5 weeks at a time. We plan to take her up the Hudson River next summer to lake Champlain. Our hull is #4. They only made them (in Wallingford CT) from 1986 - 1988 and I don't know how many were made. They come in a variety of models - some without the fly bridge and some completely enclosed. Ours has a hard top covering the huge salon but the aft part is isinglass and a sunbrella like material - we like that because the openings for the entry can be spacious if you are doing a big job or moving something large into or off the boat. The Cummins 210 turbo is terrific and economical - we cruise at 10 - 12 kts and burn 4.5 - 5 gph. We can get up to a little over 15 kts (wot) if needed. One area of concern for us and it bugged us up until this year was that the auto pilot would not work - too much back wash from the large prop - that also made the steering feel kind of "loose" especially in a following sea. We (actually Hale Propeller in Old Saybrook) solved that with a slight modification on the rudder last winter - Ron will post pics of this sometime soon. The auto pilot works perfectly - following seas and rough seas. Manual steering is greatly improved also - what a tremendous pleasure she is now. We are currently on the hard in Haddam CT with some big projects for this winter - changing out the 2 8Ds and installing a new refrigerator and toilet.

Not sure of any A 34s around but I do know that the owner of Beckson ports has had one for years. Good luck with your search and keep us posted if you find one.

Marcy K
A 34 Paumanok 1986
Westbrook CT
Marcy K
A 34 Paumanok 1986
Cape Cod MA
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Welcome aboard and happy hunting. :D
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Welcome and good luck with your search. Seems like there are lots of Albin listing back your way although that particular model may be limited. Likely one of the eastern members will help you spot one. Happy to have you in the group.
whwells 'Howard
2006 35te Sportfisher/Conv.
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Post by Panhdjoe »

Charleston yacht sales, Charleston SC has one listed. Chris Ollis is a broker there and a member of this group although I don't think he checks in much. myself and one other member have bought boats from him. I would not hesitate to deal with him again.. Joe
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki

Return to “New Member Introductions”