• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Raw water pump, Yanmar 315

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Raw water pump, Yanmar 315

Post by Serenity »

I received a call from the yard that is winterizing my boat. The raw water pump seal went and I am spraying salt water towards the engine. I have opted for a new pump, rather than a rebuilt. The yard has estimated the cost to perform the mechanical surgery at $800.00. The culprit for the demise is the ceramic seal on the pump shaft. Has anyone experienced such premature failure? The engine is less than 5 years old with less than 200 hours. I suppose all of the money I saved on fuel is being redistributed. Sounds like congress on Social Security.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Re: Raw water pump, Yanmar 315

Post by loubennett »

I had the same failure this past spring, although it probably started to leak during the previous season. The big difference is that Quest was 11 years old with 2325 hours on the engine, so it's hard for me to call it premature.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

The very same problem happened on Fisher Price a year before we purchased it. Raw water pump failure resulted in a total of $12,000 in bills as items from the sump, through to the alternator needed replacing.

OK of that $12,000, some of the work carried out was replacing the exhaust valve seals and associated work.

One advantage to all of this, was the engine being pulled and repainted - looks like new!
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
pkdiver
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Brookings, Oregon

Post by pkdiver »

I just took my 2005 28 in for some maintenance and it turns out that the shaft on the raw water pump was slightly bent and scored, resulting in some water leaking into the bilge area. The cost to replace the pump was just under $800. How the shaft got bent remains a mystery but I'll bet that it probably was that way from the start. I have about 1200 hours on my engine and am glad that I took the boat in before the pump totally blew out on me.
Pete
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

The yard told they suspect the problem was caused by lack of use and the seals dried up. This could be a possibility since the engine only had 37 hours on it when I purchased the boat. I have had the boat for 3 seasons. The prior owner had Serenity repowered two years prior, and didn't run it much. 500 hours seems to be the "take a gander" at the water pump when running.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
Halcyon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Halcyon »

Is it a Johnson pump like my 2003's? If so it's pretty easy to rebuild inexpensivley I can post some generic part numbers and tips if you like.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Halcyon wrote:Is it a Johnson pump like my 2003's? If so it's pretty easy to rebuild inexpensivley I can post some generic part numbers and tips if you like.
Please do, post all info you have, that would be great info to have here.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

I decided to go new. I am not a big fan of rebuilt items for a engine. Alternators I could deal with. However, thanks for your input. I have no idea who the manufacturer is on the water pump. However, I will know tomorrow.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
Rybo78
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Falmouth, MA

Post by Rybo78 »

Same experience here... Was running from Falmouth to Quincy for haul out two weeks ago Just as I passed through woods hole I could hear the exhaust change. Instantly Pulled it back just as the exhaust temp alarm started up. Whether the shaft was bent I'll never know... Only thing for certain is that the bearing around it failed resulting in little metal pieces entering the pan. Shaft or bearing / chicken or the egg. Tow+ haul+ over road trans to yard+ pump+ pulling engine + all other non related items ill now go ahead and address since the engines out = ouch!
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Rybo78 wrote:Same experience here... Was running from Falmouth to Quincy for haul out two weeks ago Just as I passed through woods hole I could hear the exhaust change. Instantly Pulled it back just as the exhaust temp alarm started up. Whether the shaft was bent I'll never know... Only thing for certain is that the bearing around it failed resulting in little metal pieces entering the pan. Shaft or bearing / chicken or the egg. Tow+ haul+ over road trans to yard+ pump+ pulling engine + all other non related items ill now go ahead and address since the engines out = ouch!
Check your insurance policy. Damage done by a failed part may well be covered by your policy. Can't hurt to call and check. They won't pay for the pump but the engine work...maybe.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Troubling posts. I replaced my csw pump complete in the 2008 season, over 600 hours ago. Did the impeller in 2011 and planned to do the impeller again this coming spring. This post has me thinking to do more than just the impeller..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

I have enclosed a picture of my water pump. Interesting, the salt spray was enough that the mechanic had to wire brush the block.
DSCN0513.JPG
The impeller look good. I am going to contact Mack Boring and perhaps they can advise me what happened.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

FYI, I spoke to Larry Berlin (Yanmar Guru) at Mack Boring and in his opinion the most common cause for raw water pump failure is sand and silt getting into the SWP. That works for me because Serenity sits in silt all the time at the dock. The other issue could be the gasket on the strainer which maybe be old and sucking in air. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE

Return to “Albin Maintenance”