• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Jabsco Manual Flush Head

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Jabsco Manual Flush Head

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Hi All,

It's been a very long time since I've been on this board and I am looking forward to visiting more often now that life has settled down a bit.

It seem that my manual flush has started to give me fits. I replaced the entire pump mechanism and that did not resolve the problem. It seems like I cannot bring enough water into the bowl or that the bowl will not hold the water (i.e. it drains on its own). I am able, or so it seems, to pump water out (flush). Yes, my seacocks are opened and after replacing the pump it felt like I hand to prime the line so I believe the pump is working correctly up till it reaches the head itself.

I did google search the board on this topic and the closet thing I found was this classic thread

viewtopic.php?p=10968

which toward the end describes a problem someone had with flushing, the opposite of what I am experiencing.

Any suggestions? The only thing I can think about is running a new intake line from the seacock to the pump but I really don't think that is it. Am I looking at total head replacement?

Best.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Re: Jabsco Manual Flush Head

Post by Russell »

This sounds like it could be the joker valve, a large rubber one way valve just below the pump piston. If it has hardened and does not close completely the pump will not work effectively and water wil siphon back through it. Did you replace it when you replaced the pump mechanism?
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

I'm not exactly sure what you are referring to, is this on the head itself or the mechanism? I'll guess the head itself. I should probably call Jabsco to see what they say. Thanks Russell.
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Yes, the joker valve was part of the pump.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

EA! I have no info on the head but I wanted to say hello! So funny that just last night I was looking at members and when they were last active, especially some of the "old hands". I remember specifically looking at your entry with the LI and FL "ports" and thinking about how active you used to be.

Hope all's well. Looking forward to hearing about your continuing Albin adventures.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

EA, do you think there's a blockage on the intake side? There's not much to go wrong if you replaced the entire pump assembly (Jabsco #29040-3000).

But with that said, I did that replacement in spring 2012. By this spring, it had malfunctioned: worked fine on wet side, but there was great resistance for several strokes on dry side. Finally, last week, no water would come in the intake and the pump handle moved freely with the lever in both positions. With the rebuild kit at $56 (and then someone other than me has to work on it) and an entire new assembly at $70, I went for the new assembly. I think it's pretty bad that the components don't last more than a year.

I'd love a new toilet, but it's not a simple swap-out.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987

Return to “Albin Maintenance”