• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 25 with Universal M25 engine - too slow

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

PugetPete
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Pleasant Harbor, WA

Albin 25 with Universal M25 engine - too slow

Post by PugetPete »

I am the newest owner (inherited - more or less) of a 1971 Albin 25 with a Universal M25 installed. I have no previous experience with any inboard boat or diesel power.
First cruise achieved only 5.5 kts at 1850 rpm - throttle pushed to the limit. It will rev higher in neutral but not under load.
Any suggestions on where to start to achieve the 7 kts cruise? Unsure if prop is original, bottom is clean.
I tend to think the boat is simply repowered with a wimp engine.

If I were to re-engine, what would be a ball-park figure to get something more skookum, installed (I don't have a trailer and with the cabin design, looks like a challenge to pull old and install new engine). Rebuilt is fine. I know I'm not going to break a plane on this boat but that 1.5 kts adds up.
Don't beat me up too bad, just learning.
Thanks!
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Ludlow, WA

Re: Albin 25 with Universal M25 engine - too slow

Post by joreyn »

Pete, your hull speed should be around 6.5 knots I would think. You don't need much power to push her along at that speed.

Since the engine revs higher in neutral than under load, I'd check your prop first. It may need tuning, and the prop shop may have some thoughts about the best pitch for it.

Also, how's your bottom looking. If you have a lot of marine growth, that will slow you down a lot.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler
N4QC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Albin 25 with Universal M25 engine - too slow

Post by N4QC »

Make sure that the engine is operating according to spec. This would entail using a hand held tach in order to verify the RPMs. According to a spec sheet that would be 3000 in neutral and you should be in the range of 2100 to 2600 under load. The hand held tach will also confirm your gauge. Harbor Freight has had them on sale as well as a hand held laser thermometer at times. They are a good addition to your tool box.

The spec sheet can be found at:

http://www.marinedieseldirect.com/unive ... tions.html

Verify that your M25 is covered by that spec sheet...

Have fun,
Joe
Albin Getaway
"LabTime"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”