• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

antena replacement

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

saltshaker28
Gold Member
Gold Member

antena replacement

Post by saltshaker28 »

Has anyone replaced their antena on a 28 te and if so how hard wasit to snake the wire to the area behind the gauges ?
Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: antena replacement

Post by Yearwood »

I have snaked cables around for GPS, fish finder, vhf speakers, anchor windlass, head, etc. and it is not tough. Gauge panel is accessible through the "medicine cabinet", side panels come off, etc.
Don
Rx-scape
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bodega Bay, CA

Post by Rx-scape »

I have replaced my antenna, the bundle of wires through the overhead above the helm is tight. My radio is overhead above the helm i could get a fishing tool through the tube but when the wires were installed there are cable ties down inside the tube. I would have pulled the new wire through using the old wire but could not get it to move due to being tied together with all the other wires. There was not enough room for another wire without removing the original, even then the connector would not go through. I ended up using the original wire to the back panel and splice into the new wire on the antenna. Using PL259 connecters and a double female connector there is very little loss of power over no splice.
Each Albin is different but it would be easy to run the wire down and under the deck to behind the
gauges if the radio is in that area.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rx-scape
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bodega Bay, CA

Post by Rx-scape »

The top white wire is the radio lower is radar the splice in this area should stay dry but I used wet suit glue and waterproof tape over the splice and left a loop so and water running down the wire would not wet the splice. I did not get an after picture.
saltshaker28
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by saltshaker28 »

Thanks for the info
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

The VHF antenna cable is not a problem however, you might have to cut the cable and re-splice the 259 connector. The one thing I found useful is a fiber glass snake. Harbor Freight sells them at very reasonable prices. The snake works great in the radar arch tube and running cables to the forward part of the boat.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
saltshaker28
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by saltshaker28 »

The metal snakes are no good?
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

Metal snakes are great for empty conduits, long runs and 600 volt cables. Fiber glass snakes are more flexible and won't pinch, cut the insulation on cables normally installed on boats. They are a lot easier to pull through. It you come in contact with a live circuit or hit a buss by mistake there will be no continuity. Big advantage, easier to roll up and no rust. I also use a short piece (3-4 feet) of a fresh water fishing rod with the guides removed to snake a wire for a short distance when I do not require the flexibility of a snake.
Personally, I don't like working with metal on live circuits, 12vdc or120 plus ac.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
saltshaker28
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by saltshaker28 »

I agree makes alot of sence to me I did not think about the live circuits
saltshaker28
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by saltshaker28 »

Serenity I took the starboard panel off today to see how hard it would be to snake the new antena wire does not look to bad but there is a bondiig wire in there and it is not connected to anything do you know where this wire should be connected?
Chris & Dale

Post by Chris & Dale »

I just did mine about 2 weeks ago. I cut the cable and pulled it back outside some to give me some working room. I opened and peel back the jacket of the old one to expose about an inch of the center cable. Make sure you take a close look at where the cable will feed into the radar arch to make sure you route the cable correctly from the new antenna BEFORE splicing to the old one. (I didn't and it was a mess to redo after I'd fed it down into the pilot house.) I then twisted the 2 inner cables together tight, used several strips of electrical tape long ways from one cable to the other, and then wrapped electrical tape around the cables a good 2" each side of the splice. The strength is in the cable twist connection, with the tape preventing strain on that joint. I was then able to slowly feed and pull the old and new spliced cable thru to the bathroom medicine cabinet area. Your biggest challenge will be that distance if it's been tie-wrapped where you can't reach it from the back panel of the dash. My cable ran underneath the ledge that has the throttle assembly. I was blessed that the one tie wrap holding that cable into another bundle wasn't real tight and I could reach it when the taped splice got there and worked it through. Once beyond that it was smooth sailing. You will be removing I'd estimate a good 3' of the new cable. Follow the antenna instructions for installing the connection and you're done. If it hadn't been for my mistake outside splicing the 2 cables, I'd say the whole job didn't take 3 hours. I apologize for not taking pictures like I normally do, but it really wasn't bad. Next is the radio replacement. Good Luck!
saltshaker28
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by saltshaker28 »

Thanks very informitive what antenna did you replace the old one with and do you have a bonding (green) wire in the area where you took the starboard panel off?
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

Saltshaker, what color is the wire and is it coming from the overhead channel that leads to the forward part of the helm. I pulled off one of those covers on the overhead and there were a black and white that were open, the pink wire was hot, and the purple and yellow were grounded. These five wires wound up behind the instruments at the helm station.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
saltshaker28
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by saltshaker28 »

this is a green bonding (ground) wire that comes out fo the bildge and it is right behind the starboard window you see it when you take the panel cover off
Chris & Dale

Post by Chris & Dale »

Saltshaker28...It was a Galaxy 5225-XP, 8'.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”