• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin windows, Taiwan built trawlers

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Capt Kangeroo
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Great Lakes, Canada

Albin windows, Taiwan built trawlers

Post by Capt Kangeroo »

Hello all, can anyone help me identify the windows in my 1990 Taiwan built Albin. I would like to replace the seals. The logo stamped into the glass is difficult to interpret but reads Suncor or Suncoast or something similar. Anyone have any information or ideas in replacing the seals or tracking this company down?

Cheers
Capt Kangeroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Albin windows, Taiwan built trawlers

Post by Capt Kangeroo »

Hello all, still trying to identify the manufacturer of my cabin windows so that I can replace the seals. I took another look at the small oval shaped stamp on the glass and it reads Suncar (note the a is stylized & printed backwards so might not really be an a, possibly an o ) underneath this logo is printed Tempered Glass.

Could I trouble you fellow Albin owners to have a look at your windows and identify the makers mark on your glass? It may be possible that while your manufacturers stamp is different, they may have changed their name or were bought out. It's a bit of a wild shot but this would give me another search avenue as Google turns up nothing on Suncar or Suncor. It seems unlikely the windows were actually made in Taiwan or the logo would not be in English....... if it is English.

Thanks to all.
Cheers
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

Post by amber jj »

Kevin try Suncor Stainless Inc. 508-732-1000 70 Armstrong Rd.Plymouth Ma.It may be a blind lead,but they are into marine equipment.Goodluck Bob
Capt Kangeroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Kangeroo »

Hello Bob, good to hear from you. I trust all is well your way and you have had the opportunity to put that ship of yours through it's paces out on Lake Erie. I am still in Florida, the wife and I go down for a month or so at a time every few months. Have been keeping busy with repairs and upgrading electronics and such so have not been out exploring much but we did get our butt kicked a wee bit out in the Gulf Of Mexico awhile back..... at least I know how she handles now. (the boat not the wife)

Thanks for the tip on Suncor stainless, certainly worth a call.

Have you looked at your windows, do you know who made your glass?

Cheers
N4QC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by N4QC »

In as much as you are in St. Pete Fl, you may want to check with Don’s Salvage in Clearwater Fl. They are at 5601 126th Ave North, accessible only by 49th St North.

Doug Jenkins, AlbinFlorida, a site member, is in the Clearwater area and has handled the sale of many Albins. Perhaps he can shed some light on the subject. A posted phone number (Google) is 941---540---0790. Doug, being a site member, can probably be contacted by private e-mail from the site.

Happy researching,
Joe
Albin Getaway
"LabTime"
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

Post by amber jj »

Kevin I was down to boat this afternoon.The name on the glass is"Truetemp"but I amagine that is only the manufacturer of the glass only.
Yes we are putting Amber JJ through her paces and she is doing quite well.We still have a few small bugs to work out. At least we have a decent amount of water in the lake this year. We got a 10 ft. Duras inflatable and 9.8hp Tohatsu this June but we still have not unpacked them yet. Whew what a busy summer. This working for a living sucks.
Well good luck with the windows Kevin.

Bob
Capt Kangeroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Kangeroo »

Thanks Joe, much appreciated. I'll follow up on those tips.

Bob, ditto on working for a living sucks. Regarding the glass you seem to be right that some stamps are just the glass maker. I couldn't find a thing on Truetemper either but this is not always the case. For example Taylor, all their windows carry their logo but they are the actual makers of the window, not the glass itself. Most home windows also carry the logo of the window manufacturer versus the glass maker.

Thanks for taking a look!! It will be interesting and perhaps informative to see what other glass logos there are on other Albins. Someone other than the window manufacturer and Albin made the seals for the various Albin windows and is very likely still in business. The trick is finding them and that is proving harder than I thought.

Anyone else care to take a look?

Cheers
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

I suspect that your window frames were, like many US built boats, sourced locally. Based on that it seems unlikely to me that you'll find the manufacturer. Perhaps looking for an alternate domestic source for the seals is a better path? Can you get some pictures of the seals in question? Including both in place and, if possible, a view of the seals profile from the end (you'd have to pull a small bit out).

There are a bunch of guys on the forum who've replace seals. They might be able to help,

Just a thought.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

My glass is standard 1/4 inch safety glass available at any glass shop. You can get clear or several varieties of tint.Bring in the broken piece or the frame and they can cut to fit.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Capt Kangeroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Kangeroo »

Doug, I totally agree chasing down the seals is the smartest path and even if I couldn't find the exact ones I know I could get them extruded at great cost or find something close. My trouble is, I have never seen this type of frame/seal setup before & I do not want to wreck one taking it out and not have a replacement available. Maybe mine are no different then yours or any other 90's Albin, I don't know. Mine have Aluminum trim on the outside and what looks like a two piece rubber seal with some kind of rubber insertion strip in the middle of it, if I can find a photo I'll post it in the event I can get some guidance in taking them apart to get a sample or make accurate drawings.

Jleonard, my glass and frames are like new, it is only the seals showing their age.
Capt Kangeroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Kangeroo »

Found a rather crappy photo, the piece hanging down has pulled out of the fixed portion of the window, it appears to me as if this strip had a tang on it which plugs into the gap between the window and frame to hold the glass in. The rubber strip running around the frame is ????? hiding screws maybe?? The actual flocked channels that insert into the frame that the windows slide in appears to be identical to any other sliding window.

The expired sticker photo is of the bottom edge of this same fixed portion of the window

Anyone familiar with these? On the inside the windows are trimmed with wood frames which have been glued (which is not very bright) & screwed to the paneling.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”