• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

No (Electrical) Power to Harness: Any Ideas?

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

randyb
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Fort Pierce, FL

No (Electrical) Power to Harness: Any Ideas?

Post by randyb »

Hello Fellow Albin Owners,

Man oh man am I stuck!

As background, 1995 Albin 28 TE, Cummins 5.9BT M1 250 HP named after my bride (Sea Vee).

This all started out with a bad connection to the fuel-open/close solenoid for starting. In fact, the starter had to be rebuilt because I overused the darn thing keeping her running. I solved the issue by removing the plug harness at the solenoid and replacing the plug with soldered joints for the red (start), white (run) and black (ground). This worked for about 2 days.

Now I have no energy going to my ignition switch in the panel.
  • Checked incoming power at the key-switch -- nothing, no energy, no alarm, nothing to the starter button.
    So, in order to start her I took a 12V positive jumper from the bus bar put power to the ignition switch -- so the start function worked.
    Now how do I keep it running because the solenoid run signal is not there (white wired).
    Next, I jumper the white wire (run signal) to the fuel solenoid to the red (start signal) (because no harness power to the white wire!) to keep the solenoid in a "pull"/run position
Here's where I (think?) need help:
  • Location of the power source for the harness
    Ways to check power to the harness and/or location of a fusible link
    Issues I'll have bypassing the harness as described -- i.e. burning up my alternator, causing more problems...
Any other ideas? I'm really stuck and need your help please. I know you all understand and I'm thankful/grateful for any ideas and questions.

Kind regards,

-randyb
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
-randyb
Vessel Sea Vee
1995 28' TE 5.9BTA Cummins
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: No (Electrical) Power to Harness: Any Ideas?

Post by DougSea »

I have completely different engines, but...

All power for my engine controls comes from the engine end. The main feeds from the battery run to the solenoid and a ground point, and additional wires tap to those lugs to provide power and ground to the panels. In all of your moving around did you leave a jumper disconnected? That's where I'd start looking.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

My 1999 Cummins had a circuit breaker and 2 relays. The breaker was a red button should be easy to spot. The relays were mounted low on the engine starboard side.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
marko
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Post by marko »

Ditto on the breaker reset button, but also check for loose wires on the back of the button. Easy to get to. An AOG member gave me that advice after one of my Cummins 6BTA's shut down, limped into port on one engine. The boat and engine were new to me at the time and I didn't know about the reset button, which by the way was no longer was red, it faded out. Fixed that real fast with a screw driver and a red marker. Also, there's a fuse, relatively near the reset button, in line with wires to maybe check. My problem was just a loose wire.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”